Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Saver stopped working since Big Sur update v11.2.1

It seems that Big Sur has had a problem with screen savers since it came out. When I first got my Macbook Air M1 two months ago it would randomly go into a screen saver mode that was difficult to get out of.

A temporary fix posted on this forum was to insert this:  /Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver loginWindowIdleTime 0 at a command prompt. Or.. just close the lid and open it again.

Apple came out a few weeks ago with an update to Big Sur.. which presumed to fix this issue, and perhaps others as well.

Now a couple of days ago, another update to 11.2.1 And now.. I have no screen savers at all. They will display from the settings dialog box, but will not come on as scheduled with the timer.

Anyone else have trouble with screen savers? And/Or am I a lingering victim of inserting that code, and if so.. how can I undo it. Would the original setting have been xxxxTime 1?

Thanks for your time/advice

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 8:07 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 16, 2021 1:50 PM in response to Ralph6410

Hello Ralph6410,

We understand you're screensaver feature in macOS isn't engaging as it should with the latest macOS update, and may have some steps to resolve this behavior.

Since you entered the terminal command, if you'd like to reverse it locate the com.apple.screensaver.plist file located in /Library/Preferences. This isn't in the home folder, but instead at the root level of the startup volume.

If it's still not engaging after all updates are installed, Contact Apple Support for further help.

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities forum, and have a great week!

Screen Saver stopped working since Big Sur update v11.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.