Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers file size when converting Excel to Numbers

This was asked before, but there wasn't a satisfactory explanation. I am opening an Excel document with Numbers. I save it as a Numbers document without making any changes. The Excel doc was 28 kb, and the saved Numbers file is 791 kb. The same is true for Pages; after opening a Word doc that was 13 kb, and saving it as a Pages doc, it was 708 kb. No other changes were made.

I simply want to be able to open and save these formerly Microsoft Office forms in Numbers and pages. What is going on during the conversion to make the files sizes so much higher?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 1:04 PM

2 replies

Feb 14, 2021 5:07 PM in response to cloudyoutlook

Actually, looking at an imported file I can point out a few things that are large. Below is what is inside a very small Excel file I imported today. The PresetImageFill files are about 100K each. The spreadsheet I imported did not use any of them but I guess they are part of the default blank Excel template. Maybe Excel can pull the fills from its application files vs having them in the spreadsheet but Numbers has to insert its reproduction of them into the file because they are not standard Numbers fills. All conjecture on my part, though.

Numbers file size when converting Excel to Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.