Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing/disabling files in iCloud

Why can't I delete all my folders in iCloud Drive? I only want to store photo on iCloud, but no files. Every time I remove the Documents folder, it goes to recently deleted then immediately comes back.

I've turned if off on all my devices, but I can't permanently delete the Document folder on iDrive on my iCloud account.

MacBook

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 5:10 PM

Hi,

Thanks for responding to the post. I did eventually discover the problem. Apple does not permit you to delete the two high level folders named Desktop and Documents. You have to open each of these two folders and then you can delete everything it contains. I strongly feel that it is a poor design not to inform the user of this limitation. iCloud should either display a message if you try to delete the top two folders, or prevent you from doing it in the first place (e.g., don't enable the Trash Can when you select one of these two folders).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2021 5:10 PM in response to MoonJ.

Hi,

Thanks for responding to the post. I did eventually discover the problem. Apple does not permit you to delete the two high level folders named Desktop and Documents. You have to open each of these two folders and then you can delete everything it contains. I strongly feel that it is a poor design not to inform the user of this limitation. iCloud should either display a message if you try to delete the top two folders, or prevent you from doing it in the first place (e.g., don't enable the Trash Can when you select one of these two folders).

Feb 16, 2021 3:52 PM in response to RobSilvagni

Hey there RobSilvagni,

Based on your post it sounds like you're having trouble managing your iCloud Drive data.

Have you tried deleting the data in smaller batches?

Does the issue continue after restarting your Mac?

Do you know if you're able to delete your files using any other device with your iCloud account?

Are you running the most recent version of macOS? How to update the software on your Mac

Does this seem to occur signing into iCloud using Safari?

Keep us updated and we'll continue with you accordingly.

Delete files in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com

Regards.

Removing/disabling files in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.