Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cloud Music Library playlists can only contain songs from your Cloud Music Library.

I recently moved my iTunes library to an external drive and successfully updated all the music files to the file location. Just tried to add a song to a playlist but received the error message below. I have the Sync Library checked, this song is in my iTunes folder, I don't have issues with other songs (so far). The song is AAC audio file, size is 3.2mb and the bit rate is 128 kbps. What am I missing?

Current Pro Desktops

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 5:08 PM

See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support. Make sure the track you are trying to add is matched or uploaded.

tt2

8 replies

Mar 6, 2021 4:43 AM in response to donmilo

I assume when you sy iTunes you mean Music. In the Playlist in Music on your Mac if you hover over the number in the TIME column at the right end side beside the track name. three little dots will appear, click on those and select Add to Library from the drop down menu. After a while it will upload... not that the symbols will give you any obvious clue. You will know it is uploaded when the Add to Library option is no longer there in that menu. Then you can go over the same three dots and choose Add to Playlist from he menu and the select the desired playlist.

I agree that this feature is terribly implemented and totally unintuitive and confusing.

Apple stuff used to be so intuitive and pleasing to use.....

Mar 22, 2021 5:04 PM in response to Granddad53

Granddad53 wrote:

Thanks. I have 3/4 TB of music which is hard to store internally. I may have lost it in a shuffle over the years. If I find the largest library xls (or whatever) file and make that the library, will they play? Or do I have to find that file on the hard drive and somehow rebut them all on the cloud?

If you have content stored locally then you can reimport it to the library. If you're an active user of Apple Music or iTunes Match then you cannot simply revert to an older version of your database, as soon as you go online the library will get refreshed with the current state of the iCloud Music Library. There are workarounds, such as going offline before reconnecting to an old library, exporting lists from itm then going back to the current library and importing, or signing out of iCloud Music Library before you go back and then signing in again to merge, but it can all be a bit finickity. If you just want the songs added and you have them then it should be relatively easy to add back into your library. What cannot be done is to restore content that only lived in cloud and was then removed.

tt2

Cloud Music Library playlists can only contain songs from your Cloud Music Library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.