Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook says I am in Miami when I am not how to do I correct this

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 8:05 PM

Hi wilmoth96,

Your Mac might report an incorrect location if you're using a VPN or your Personal Hotspot, and the app you're using doesn't have permission to use Location Services.

To fix this, go to System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy, and make sure that Location Services is on for the apps that you want to give permission.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2021 8:05 PM in response to wilmoth96

Hi wilmoth96,

Your Mac might report an incorrect location if you're using a VPN or your Personal Hotspot, and the app you're using doesn't have permission to use Location Services.

To fix this, go to System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy, and make sure that Location Services is on for the apps that you want to give permission.

Feb 15, 2021 4:18 PM in response to wilmoth96

Geolocation by IP address is routinely off by whole states. If the location is in the same country, you’re fine. ISPs don’t reliably register the addresses (mine routinely appear in adjoining states), and ISPs have learned it can be unwise and variously deadly to the ISP subscribers to provide more accurate locations. And it’s more work to provide stalker-friendly locations.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.