Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my Macbook pro always think I am in Georgia when I have set my location multiple times

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2021 5:22 PM

If you’re looking at something geolocating by an IP address, the geolocation data from the ISP will be accurate to your country (within Georgia, or within the United States if you’re referring to the state), and possibly more accurate. The IP geolocation data will not be accurate, as that accuracy both costs more money for the ISP, and it places the users at greater risk as the geolocation accuracy increases.

That NetGear Wi-Fi is a gateway/NAT/router/firewall box.

There’s a backhaul involved from that box, whether using terrestrial wireline, or terrestrial wireless such as LTE or 5G or a WISP, or via LEO or GEO satellite. It’s that exposed IP address provided by the ISP that is the target of IP address geolocation, and that geolocation tends to be accurate within the country, maybe somewhat more accurate.

Addresses in New England are “relatively accurate”, and routinely geolocate to adjacent states, depending on the ISP.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2021 5:22 PM in response to debayou

If you’re looking at something geolocating by an IP address, the geolocation data from the ISP will be accurate to your country (within Georgia, or within the United States if you’re referring to the state), and possibly more accurate. The IP geolocation data will not be accurate, as that accuracy both costs more money for the ISP, and it places the users at greater risk as the geolocation accuracy increases.

That NetGear Wi-Fi is a gateway/NAT/router/firewall box.

There’s a backhaul involved from that box, whether using terrestrial wireline, or terrestrial wireless such as LTE or 5G or a WISP, or via LEO or GEO satellite. It’s that exposed IP address provided by the ISP that is the target of IP address geolocation, and that geolocation tends to be accurate within the country, maybe somewhat more accurate.

Addresses in New England are “relatively accurate”, and routinely geolocate to adjacent states, depending on the ISP.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.