Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my location states in in Miami … when im in Fort Myers?

Need help to figure out the reason why my new mac says im in Miami but in reality im in Fort Myers… i traveled last week to Miami…. But now im in Fort Myers …. My new laptop says im in Miami when im signing in …. Any advice is much appreciated.

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 5:52 PM

The location of your Mac is determined by the Point of Presence (PoP) of your connection to an Internet backbone. Most likely your ISP’s Internet node is in Miami. There is no GPS in a Mac, so it does the best it can.

7 replies

Nov 8, 2021 8:37 PM in response to Wontonster

IP geolocation isn’t usually very accurate, it costs the ISP more to make it accurate, there are good reasons to want it less than accurate, and most of us really don’t want it to be accurate whether that’s due to crooks, stalkers, abusive exes, or otherwise. Put differently, the IP address is best assumed correct when it’s in the same country.

Why is my location states in in Miami … when im in Fort Myers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.