Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot bolt up my brand new iMac - even in recovery mode. I'm just getting requests to enter my wifi network details and then I wait and I get an icon of a folder with a question mark

I cannot bolt up my brand new iMac - even in recovery mode. I'm just getting requests to enter my wifi network details and then I wait and I get an icon of a folder with a question mark

iMac Pro

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 1:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 1:02 AM

Hi Jack. Before I read your latest response I fixed my problem (phew!). After repeated attempts to log in in recovery mode I suddenly got it. When I went into disk utilities I noticed there were three partitions on my hard disk - HD, HD-data and another HD-data. I can only guess that that happened during my attempts to migrate data from my old Mac Air. Anyway - I erased everything from those 'partitions' and then I was able to reload the Mac OS - successfully - and I set up my iMac . The only frustration I now have is that not all of the applications on my old Mac Air can be transferred to my iMac - in particular Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. I am resigned to having to purchase new copies that are compatible with my "Catalina" OS. The only other odd thing is that one of my folders on my Mac Air (containing some video files will also not migrate) but I have loaded this into my iMac manually. Anyway - "happy days" now. Thanks for sparing your time to look at my problem. Stay safe and keep well!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2021 1:02 AM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack. Before I read your latest response I fixed my problem (phew!). After repeated attempts to log in in recovery mode I suddenly got it. When I went into disk utilities I noticed there were three partitions on my hard disk - HD, HD-data and another HD-data. I can only guess that that happened during my attempts to migrate data from my old Mac Air. Anyway - I erased everything from those 'partitions' and then I was able to reload the Mac OS - successfully - and I set up my iMac . The only frustration I now have is that not all of the applications on my old Mac Air can be transferred to my iMac - in particular Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. I am resigned to having to purchase new copies that are compatible with my "Catalina" OS. The only other odd thing is that one of my folders on my Mac Air (containing some video files will also not migrate) but I have loaded this into my iMac manually. Anyway - "happy days" now. Thanks for sparing your time to look at my problem. Stay safe and keep well!

Feb 15, 2021 8:15 PM in response to dairees20

Let's try this. (Note: It will erase everything on the iMac.)

1. Shut down the iMac.
  2. Turn on the iMac, and immediately press and hold Option + Command + R until you see a spinning globe.
  3. Once you are in macOS Recovery, verify you are connected to WiFi using the menu in the top right corner.
  4. Go to Disk Utility.
  5. Select "View" in the toolbar > "Show All Devices".
  6. Select your main hard drive. This will either be "APPLE SSD...", "APPLE HDD...", or "Fusion Drive".
  7. Click Erase, and input the following exactly: (If you cannot select erase on the main hard drive, erase the "Container".)
  8. Name: Macintosh HD
  9. Format: APFS
  10. Scheme: GUID Partition Map (if shown)
  11. Click Erase
  12. Quit Disk Utility
  13. Go to the reinstall macOS app.
  14. Follow the prompts, and install on Macintosh HD.
  15. Once done, setup your Mac, again.

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 15, 2021 1:52 AM in response to Jack-19

It arrived last Friday. I set it up and then set about trying to migrate all the data I had on my old Mac Air (everything - applications, folders and documents). I started having trouble as not everything from my Mac Air was being migrated - only some applications and no documents. I made quite a few attempts - via WiFi and a back up disk. I then decided to erase everything and reload the operating system. This worked ok but I was still having problems with the migration. I then started getting a message saying that there was not enough free space on my iMac. My iMac has a 250Gb ssd storage. My Mac Air has only 125Gb storage so this was baffling me. I then went to erase my iMac and reload the operating system and try again. This is when I hit trouble. I have tried restoring - holding Command & R during start up. But no joy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.