Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Authenticating with Apple Watch works, but logging in doesn't

I have login with Apple Watch enabled (all devices updated to latest version) and my Mac refuses to log me in using the watch - it tries for a few seconds showing a spinner next to "unlocking with your Apple Watch" then fails and displays the password field.

However, once I log in manually, I can use the watch to authenticate things like unlocking preferences, showing password in Safari etc. so it clearly works and is connected to my Mac, it just won't log me in to my account.

I've tried all the various suggestions for fixing this (disabling / enabling / rebooting / deleting keychain items and plists etc.) nothing works.

Occasionally after messing with these settings it will log me in and I think it's fixed but on next try it's broken again. But only for log in, not authenticating after being logged in.

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 2:31 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 17, 2021 7:34 AM in response to Peter Schaufuss

Hello Schaufuss,

It seems you are having some trouble with unlocking your Mac with your Apple Watch reliably. Having the ability to unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch is a great feature to allow you to unlock your Mac without typing your password. We're glad you reached out for help.

When you are trying to unlock your Mac is it after your Mac has been put to sleep or locked, or after fresh boot, restart, or if the customer logged out of their user prior to the Mac going to sleep? The feature is set to work only when trying to unlock your Mac after being put to sleep or locked.

Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch

Your log in password for your Mac needs to meet the following requirements.

• Uppercase or lowercase letters A to Z
  • Numbers 0 to 9
  • Underscores
  • Hyphens
  • Periods

If your password contains any other characters we recommend changing your password using the steps here:

Change the login password on Mac

If the issue does continue after those steps, restart your Mac in safe mode and after logging in put your Mac to sleep and try to unlock with your watch.

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Have a good day!

Feb 18, 2021 1:16 AM in response to bailier

Hi Bailier

Thank you so much for pointing me in the direction of USB devices. I had a JABRA headset with a speciel USB dongle transmitter connected and removing that and using a BT connection instead seems to have solved the problem (fingers crossed).

What threw me off was the fact the authenticating once logged in worked fine, so I ruled out interference - but I guess the login process if different from the authenticate with Watch in apps?

Anyway big thanks to both you and Jeff for helping me out.

Feb 17, 2021 1:10 PM in response to Jeff_W.

Hi Jeff, thanks for replying

I have my Mac set to lock when the screensaver starts, and it's for example in those instances that it tries to unlock with the watch and fails. My password only contains numbers - is there a minimum amount of characters that's needed?

The thing is, sometimes it just works, without me changing anything and under the same circumstances. For example two times today it unlocked right away, but the remaining like 20 times it did not - and the way it was locked and awaken was the same - and no settings were changed.

And, once I'm logged in authenticating with the watch works EVERY time, even when logging ind with the watch failed.

So the watch is clearly connected and able to unlock the computer, but logging in still fails almost every time.

Feb 17, 2021 1:50 PM in response to Peter Schaufuss

Peter Schaufuss,

We appreciate the additional information you provides and following up with us. When you tested in safe mode did you notice an improvement? Go ahead and put the Apple Watch in Airplane mode and temporarily turn Bluetooth on the Mac off at the same time. Then take the Apple Watch out of Airplane mode and turn Bluetooth on the Mac on. Test and see if the issue continues.

Do you have any other Bluetooth or USB devices connected to the Mac other than a single keyboard and mouse if necessary over USB, as well as any other Bluetooth connections? Remove all USB devices other than those necessary to access your Mac if necessary. Test again to see if you can unlock your Mac.

If it still happens, enable Airplane mode, or turn off Bluetooth devices except for the Mac, Apple Watch and the iPhone the Apple Watch is paired to. Be sure to test after this as well to check for interference from other data connections.

Should you still experience issues reach out to Apple Support to continue from here: Get Support

Take care!

Authenticating with Apple Watch works, but logging in doesn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.