Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX and monitor display question

I have a MacBook Pro and 2 x 4K monitors. Normally I put the browser/timeline/viewer combo on one 4K monitor ... then either use Command Shift F to display the playback on that same monitor full screen, or, I click the little monitor icon in the upper right hand corner and have the Full Screen display show up on my MacBook Pro screen. Thus do my work on the big screen, watch playback on the very nice MacBook Pro Retina screen.

But I have this other 4K monitor. Which I've been using for non-FCPX functions, like email etc. Something happened yesterday, some weird key combo I hit without realising it ... and my second monitor was suddenly a Full Screen playback from the Timeline/Browser/Viewer. Which is great. It's a 4K screen.

How did I get it? I clicked the monitor icon display button once ... and everything is suddenly just as before. Command Shift F brings up Full Screen display on the main monitor (where the Browser/Viewer/Timeline is located). And if I click the monitor icon in the upper right hand corner it displays the Full Screen playback on the MacBook Pro.

I think it was when I clicked the monitor icon that I lost the view over on the 2nd 4K monitor. I can't get FCPX to display on the second 4K monitor now.

I'm just wondering what I might have inadvertently clicked to get the Browser/Timeline/Viewer to display over on the 2nd 4K monitor (rather than the MacBook Pro monitor)?

I didn't touch the monitor layout or settings in System Preferences.

Any ideas out there?

All ears, Ben

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 8:30 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 15, 2021 8:46 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Ha ha ha. Dang. Didn't even know that was there. And how I did it I can't imagine, as there is no natural keystroke. And I hardly ever use Windows in the Menu.

This is quite terrific. I didn't think it could be done ... ironically I remember looking for an hour or so one day, a way to display on that monitor, and couldn't find an explanation, so thought it couldn't be done. Actually, someone in a forum said it couldn't be done.

Thank you most kindly Luis, I'll be thinking of you every time I look up at that nice big 4K. Though I think I'll still be colour grading on the MacBook Pro screen. It seems to be incredibly consistent with other systems out there. I've done the colour grading for a couple of IMAX films just using the MacBook Pro Retina screen. And later comparisons with state-of-the-art high end studio systems (where IMAX films are normally graded) showed no colour discrepancies or surprises with the MacBook Pro grading.

All the best, Ben

FCPX and monitor display question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.