Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my external hard drive to read and write?

I have an external hard drive. After backing it up to time machine, it wont allow me to read or write to the external drive. Anyone else experience this?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 11:53 AM

Many brand-name drive-with-enclosures are shipped form the maker formatted for Windows New Technology File System (NTFS). Microsoft considers this format proprietary, and has said it will sue anyone who uses it without a license. Apple thinks paying money for proprietary File systems is nonsense, and will Read, but not Write that format without additional third-part software.

To use the drive as a Macintosh drive, you can completely ERASE it by its immutable device-name, not just its Volume, the entire device..

To continue to use it as a Windows drive, you would need to add a third-party driver. CAUTION: a Windows drive supported this way can only be read/written when the Windows NTFS Driver is loaded. That means NOT: Recovery, Installer or Safe Mode. You are also unlikely to be able to Restore from this when used as a backup drive.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2021 11:53 AM in response to Hearn65

Many brand-name drive-with-enclosures are shipped form the maker formatted for Windows New Technology File System (NTFS). Microsoft considers this format proprietary, and has said it will sue anyone who uses it without a license. Apple thinks paying money for proprietary File systems is nonsense, and will Read, but not Write that format without additional third-part software.

To use the drive as a Macintosh drive, you can completely ERASE it by its immutable device-name, not just its Volume, the entire device..

To continue to use it as a Windows drive, you would need to add a third-party driver. CAUTION: a Windows drive supported this way can only be read/written when the Windows NTFS Driver is loaded. That means NOT: Recovery, Installer or Safe Mode. You are also unlikely to be able to Restore from this when used as a backup drive.

How can I get my external hard drive to read and write?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.