Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catastrophic Issue with M1 Big Sur 11.2. A Total Nightmare

I knew upgrading to M1 would have its growing pains. But never did I think it would be so bad that it would compromise my job and probably get me fired.

Last night my printer would not print an important work document. After reading into it I learned that there was an issue with 11.1 and I needed to update to 11.2 so it would work. Low and behold updating did work. Perfect.

Little did I know that going from 11.1 to 11.2 would break something else though. My Softraid driver that allows my OWC Thunder Bay 6 raid drive to mount for some reason doesn't work on 11.2. The Softraid tech support team told me its an apple issue with 11.2 blocking the driver and I must go to 11.1 to make it work. There is no way for them to even fix it to work on 11.2.

Now here is the massive problem. brace yourself.... Unlike intel Macs where it is incredibly easy to go back a version in your OS, something about M1 makes it virtually impossible to go back an OS version. After speaking on the phone with an Apple senior advisor for LITERALLY 2 hours, we had nothing. Even he was shocked and dumbfounded that there is literally no solution for me.

So here I am. Documenting a major issue. I love you apple and what you have done with M1 but right now boss is fumigating at me because I can't get him the files he needs and there's nothing I can do about it. We're talking about getting a drive to mount, not hacking into the NSA. This should have a simpler solution to this. The Apple Senior Advisor told me to wait for 11.3 or try and go buy another M1 Mac with a previous version of 11.1 installed on it.

There is no chain of explicative words I can shout into a pillow or personal property I can destroy to alleviate the frustration I am experiencing. I could lose my job over this.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 12:33 PM

To everybody reading this, I was able to fix the problem.... Not with the help of spending 3 hours on the phone with an Apple Senior Adviser but by following Mr Macintosh's video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKxNSKxbXdE

Similar questions

21 replies

Feb 17, 2021 8:10 AM in response to ben1257sb

ben1257sb wrote:
But they told me it’s not possible to boot an M1 this way

You'd have to ask them why they told you something like that. I and several others on this forum boot into our external M1 boot drives everyday.

I wrote an article that explains how to make a M1 boot drive. You can find it here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252222611

Please post any questions regarding this process in that particular thread, so that this community can learn along with you.

You should be able to do this with your internal drive too. If memory serves me right you need to format it differently and then install macOS 11.1 via a flash drive. There is a line of code that you need to paste into terminal, or it won't work. If you need it I can hunt it down for you.

Feb 19, 2021 12:14 PM in response to ben1257sb

Haven't forgotten about this. Having a hard time finding 11.1 download, but I might have found 11.0 (download is simply titled "Big Sur").

What I have learned about making an M1 external boot drive;

• It needs to be a Thunderbolt 3/4 drive. You cannot use a USB-C connector for this. You also cannot use a Type A adapter for a USB 3.0 or later drive. Bottom line, it must be a native Thunderbolt 3 drive or drive enclosure.
  • Erase the drive (NVMe works best) and then format it as APFS from the M1. Cannot be formatted by an intel Mac!
  • Using a Big Sur installer (via thumbdrive in terminal) install Big Sur from your M1 Mac.

Since you are trying to use your internal drive, I will try to reproduce this method using my internal drive, but ironically I think it's currently at 11.1, so I'll first need to upgrade it to 11.2.1 first, and then reformat it using terminal (disk utility doesn't work for this) before I reinstall 11.1 back onto it. This will be an all day job once I get the 11.1 download, but once I find it I'll document the steps and post them here for you.

Feb 15, 2021 1:29 PM in response to ben1257sb

UPDATE.

After speaking with the SoftRAID developer, they tell me this.

Just unbelievable, Apple. What the ****? SO basically I can't do work until 11.4 comes out? Are you kidding me?

"Users who ran the 11.3 beta 20E5172i have confirmed this first 11.3 beta does not have the fix. there probably will be another beta very soon, we hope that has the fix."

Feb 16, 2021 9:42 AM in response to ben1257sb

ben1257sb wrote:

Sorry buddy but I do have a backup. 2 extra to be exact.

Can't you access your files from your work computer? If not then can't you simply install 11.1 on a different hard drive, and then access the backup files from it?

Also, Time Machine is pretty much designed for such a thing, and don't forget about iCloud.

something about M1 makes it virtually impossible to go back an OS version.

Not virtually impossible, but impossible, and for very good reason!

Your M1 was built and designed to use 11.0.

Big Sur is much different from all other macOS versions. Whatever macOS that ships with a Mac, is that computers base OS. You can always format the hard drive and chose any macOS starting from 11.0 for your Mac, but you will lose files if you don't back them up beforehand. Personally I would just buy another hard drive (as mentioned above) and use that to boot from until this is sorted.

Feb 16, 2021 10:08 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:
One could go back to 11.1, and that appears to be not just possible, but easy, according to OWC.

I don't know about your OWC drive, but I know for a fact that you can go back because I just did it yesterday for my M1 Mac mini. Buy hard drive. Format drive with M1. Install 11.1. Boot from M1 by holding down the power button. Done.

Feb 17, 2021 12:30 PM in response to MyApple8MyPC

This is interesting to hear.

Do you know mr Macintosh? He mentions how shooting from a flash drive is not possible. I’m not saying you are incorrect but this individual is incredibly smart and knows his stuff. Am I Broadly mistaken on this subject? I agree with you that going from 11.2 to 11.1 shouldn’t be impossible but every resource I’ve come across says it is until I’m hearing about your thread. I will look into it. Have a look at this video if you have a minute and see if what they say is in fact incorrect.

https://youtu.be/lKxNSKxbXdE

Feb 17, 2021 1:30 PM in response to ben1257sb

ben1257sb wrote:

Do you know mr Macintosh? He mentions how shooting from a flash drive is not possible.

When I couldn't install 11.1 (even when I tried installing using recovery) I installed it by using terminal.

Using terminal and a flash drive was the only way that I found around this.

If I can find a copy of 11.1, and I have more time this weekend I'll write up a step-by-step for you.

Keep in mind that 11.1 reportedly had a bug where it prevented some users to upgrade to it, so maybe that's one reason you're also having issues. 11.01 may be a better version for you.

Feb 19, 2021 1:45 PM in response to MyApple8MyPC

Hey there! First off, I was able to successfully get 11.1 using the Mr Macintosh method. So I am fixed.

In other news though, your method seems awesome to use in a pinch if this happens again because the Mr Macintosh method requires another Mac which is not easy to track down for me.

At this time, It may be nice to start your own thread on this subject that way other folks can learn from your method as I bet it will be very helpful for people!

Thanks a bunch.

Catastrophic Issue with M1 Big Sur 11.2. A Total Nightmare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.