Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6s restarting randomly after 14.4 update

My iPhone 6S keeps randomly restarting after updating to iOS 14.4. I do you not have a computer to reboot the iPhone using iTunes

I have already restarted and reset the settings, but I still have the same problem, any ideas?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 7:31 AM

16 replies

Feb 17, 2021 8:57 PM in response to artistrebeccals

artistrebeccals Said:

"iphone 6s restarting randomly after 14.4 update: My iPhone 6S keeps randomly restarting after updating to iOS 14.4. I do you not have a computer to reboot the iPhone using iTunes. I have already restarted and reset the settings, but I still have the same problem, any ideas?"

-------

Do you Own a Mac?:

Note that the TV app and the Music app are used for macOS Catalina (10.15) and thereafter. So, if iTunes is not an option for a Mac, then use either TV or Music. Go Here: What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support

An iOS Update in a Loop:

Your iPhone is still trying to perform an update, yet, it is stuck in a boot loop. So, try completing the update, using the following methods.

Two Major Steps: - Update then Backup - Perform the following in the Order Provided

I. Update the iPhone Via a Computer:

A. Connect the iPhone to your Computer

B. Force restart your iPhone, while it is connected, 

1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
  3. Press and hold the side button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the button

C. Don't release: when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.

D. Choose Update: when you get the option to restore or update. iTunes will try to reinstall the iOS without erasing your data.

II. Backup the iPhone:

Make a backup of your iPhone using iCloud or your computer, that way you can have something to restore it from, should anything go wring with the install.

Feb 17, 2021 10:33 PM in response to artistrebeccals

artistrebeccals:

"iphone 6s restarting randomly after 14.4 update: ive already restored my phone from a backup - erased all settings and data without computer."

-------

Provide Apple Feedback:

Do your Part: If you have come across something does not work as it should, then I recommend that you report this to Apple.  Apple Support will not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is going on and what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment On: When you came across this, and how you have troubleshot it, thus far
  4. Proceed from there as necessary.

Feb 18, 2021 7:20 AM in response to artistrebeccals

artistrebeccals ~ Restarting randomly can be a symptom of a battery in need of replacement:

"...The power management system determines the capability of the battery to supply this power, and manages the loads in order to maintain operations. When the operations can no longer be supported with the full capabilities of the power management system, the system will perform a shutdown to preserve these electronic components. While this shutdown is intentional from the device perspective, it may be unexpected by the user." [Source: Apple]

…So, if the battery of your iPhone is the original one, it quite likely needs replacement. What's the Maximum Capacity % here?...

Settings > Battery > Battery Health

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

About genuine iPhone batteries

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

Feb 17, 2021 9:45 PM in response to artistrebeccals

artistrebeccals Said:

"Hi: ive no other computer only an ipad: while typing this reply the iPhone restarted again and I tried the button pushing ideas, but I do not get recovery mode appear. ive no other updates available for me."

-------

Some More Notes:

I. Using a Computer:

Try using someone else's computer. Ask them if you may use it. A person to ask may be:

• Family Member
  • Friend
  • Co-Worker
  • Peer
  • Roommate

II. Using iTunes:

iTunes would be used on a Windows PC or on a Mac with macOS Mojave (10.14) or before.

III. Any Backups?:

Restore it from a backup, if you have one. If you have no backups, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always back up your device prior to making a major change (i.e. an update installation) to it.

Feb 17, 2021 8:15 AM in response to artistrebeccals

I have had this issue since I updated to 14.4.

I have had my IPhone 6s plus replace 2 times, thinking that it was the phone.

So it would be VERY much appreciated if Apple acknowledge the issue and get

on the ball and fix this. My phone is restarting most of the time when I use Safari.

This happens when on WiFi or provider network. I even tried to hard reset and just

use "standard" apps that are part of the IOS. You can't restore your IPhone without

updating to the latest IOS. So no way of avoiding the upgrade trap.

Feb 17, 2021 8:34 AM in response to artistrebeccals

Oh and by the way. I did a full reset of the iPhone 6s deleting all data and the phone is still restarting itself at random times while I’m in the middle of working on it - usually during labor intense work like editing a video using VLLO app or while uploading video via YouTube iOS app.

the erase all data thing does not solve the issue - wish there was an update roll back as iOS 13 was great 👍

Feb 17, 2021 7:49 PM in response to Olsdenbanden2

I agree it’s very, very annoying and unprofessional to have a device automatically restart at will.

however, I’m holding out for the 14.5 update I see on YouTube is about in beta mode - fingers crossed it fixes the issue

14.4 is apparently to fix 3 vulnerabilities exposed by hackers......... and I never thought Apple devices could even be hacked 🤔

plus, no one but you has responded to my concern.

Feb 18, 2021 7:01 AM in response to TheLittles

Apparently according to the feedback form I”ll be lucky if I get any response from apple about my issue and no doubt it’s a known bug to force everyone to buy new devices.

im seriously angry because I’m a YouTube content creator and I use my phone for all my recording and editing and now due to apple I can no longer do this until they fix it.

iphone 6s restarting randomly after 14.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.