Related Article: Apple security releases

iPhone 14 screen freezing during calls

My phone freezes while I’m talking on the phone. It’s been happening since I bought it in September. Anyone else experiencing this? Some of the things I’ve tried are numerous resets and gotten a new phone. I’ve been to Apple Store 4 times and called Apple support at least 5 times.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 18, 2022 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 3:12 AM

Same issue. Same phone. Have been trying to deal with Apple support since I got the phone back in October. Went through all the standard first level and second level tech support “fixes” with cumulatively probably 15 hours of calls. “Hard reset, must be a software issue with one of your apps, try a new device, try to setup as new, make sure you aren’t using any VPN software” all of which I have done. The replacement device did stop the problem for the longest period of time - which was nearly 2 months, but now it’s back. Latest senior rep, who was un-Apple like disrespectful, didn’t take the time to read the prior agents notes about the issue but basically said the same thing, try and do a hard reset but because the phone is now new, it’s clearly a software issue “with one of MY apps”. Very disappointed in company’s acknowledgement of issue and strategy to fix it. As one fellow user put it, the device does a lot of neat things we all appreciate, but when we aren’t able to use basic phone functionality - might be time to look for a different hardware provider unless someone in Apple senior leadership decides it’s a problem worth putting resources behind. Right now, we just aren’t a big enough voice for enough people to care - which is disappointing.

The strange thing is when I set up my replacement phone as new I only installed the apps that I absolutely needed and were so broadly used that any software issue would likely affect a much broader group, so that I could be sure it wasn’t a random app that was causing the issue but still the issue is presenting almost daily again - certainly daily whenever I have a bunch of calls - which is virtually everyday.

and don’t let them tell you that it’s likely a corrupted copy of your iCloud back up because I reinstalled each app from scratch and then did so over a hardwire connection as well.

I know I probably sound like just another disgruntled user, but if each call to Apple support did not take another 2 to 3 hours of time to complete and actually yielded some positive results. I probably would be a little less bitter.

Please someone DM me if you find a solution!

118 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2023 3:12 AM in response to Mary__ch

Same issue. Same phone. Have been trying to deal with Apple support since I got the phone back in October. Went through all the standard first level and second level tech support “fixes” with cumulatively probably 15 hours of calls. “Hard reset, must be a software issue with one of your apps, try a new device, try to setup as new, make sure you aren’t using any VPN software” all of which I have done. The replacement device did stop the problem for the longest period of time - which was nearly 2 months, but now it’s back. Latest senior rep, who was un-Apple like disrespectful, didn’t take the time to read the prior agents notes about the issue but basically said the same thing, try and do a hard reset but because the phone is now new, it’s clearly a software issue “with one of MY apps”. Very disappointed in company’s acknowledgement of issue and strategy to fix it. As one fellow user put it, the device does a lot of neat things we all appreciate, but when we aren’t able to use basic phone functionality - might be time to look for a different hardware provider unless someone in Apple senior leadership decides it’s a problem worth putting resources behind. Right now, we just aren’t a big enough voice for enough people to care - which is disappointing.

The strange thing is when I set up my replacement phone as new I only installed the apps that I absolutely needed and were so broadly used that any software issue would likely affect a much broader group, so that I could be sure it wasn’t a random app that was causing the issue but still the issue is presenting almost daily again - certainly daily whenever I have a bunch of calls - which is virtually everyday.

and don’t let them tell you that it’s likely a corrupted copy of your iCloud back up because I reinstalled each app from scratch and then did so over a hardwire connection as well.

I know I probably sound like just another disgruntled user, but if each call to Apple support did not take another 2 to 3 hours of time to complete and actually yielded some positive results. I probably would be a little less bitter.

Please someone DM me if you find a solution!

Mar 5, 2023 7:27 PM in response to Mary__ch

Its interesting to see that apple has not reached out to help anyone on this thread .

I have had the issue since new . I bought on online and after taking it to the apple

repair shop and tests were run on it , they found it had a hardware issue and swapped

it for another phone . New phone does exactly the same thing .

Kinda over it . Apple is probably over it too , hence no response with any way of fixing the issue  

Dec 20, 2022 10:43 AM in response to Mary__ch

Hello Mary__ch,

If you're experiencing performance issues with your iPhone the best steps to take can be found in the article below. However, if the behavior is persisting across updates and devices, we'd recommend continuing to work with Apple Support to further investigate the issue.

If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen

"On your iPhone 8 or later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation)

1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
  3. Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.
  4. If your phone doesn't turn on, follow these steps to check your hardware and charge your phone. You might need to charge for up to an hour.
  5. If your phone still doesn't turn on, contact Apple Support."

Regards.

May 23, 2023 6:10 AM in response to Mary__ch

I have the same issues as user Nicole862mn. Adding to her issues, i sometimes have a frozen screen when a call is incoming and there is nothing i can do. Once the calling stops, the freezing stops. i need to lock the screen and then activate it again and all is normal. If these issues are still on, I don't see much hope of getting a fix OTA, my phone is with iOS 16.5 and it is still on.

Feb 22, 2023 8:00 PM in response to Swoop52

This is an issue for me, too. I’ve had two iPhone 14 Pros— and both have done exactly what you describe. Around 80% of my calls freeze. The only way to unfreeze the screen is to lock the phone, which disconnects the call, and then the phone stutters and begins working again.

So disappointed with the 14 Pro. At the core, this is a phone. Phone calls should be not an issue.

Mar 7, 2023 12:33 PM in response to Drew_7

Having the same issues, everytime I'm on a call it freezes. Literally only 1 month old and having issues like this. Considering going back to Samsung as never had this problem with any of my Samsung phones! It's very frustrating! Still I see no real fix has been suggested. Apple will there be an update to resolve this issues???

Mar 8, 2023 2:56 AM in response to Dclark85

I have been on the phone to apple for like 2hrs as I have 2 x 14pro and 1 x 14 pro max. All have this issue. They are still trying to find out what the problem is.

they have just asked me who we use for our network… “Telstra” . Don’t see how this has anything to do with it. But worth putting it out it there. What networks are you using?

Mar 15, 2023 12:04 PM in response to Mary__ch

same issue i am facing.

i am having very good repo with apple product.

first i used iphone 5S ,then using iphone 12 fir wife and now i purchased iphone 14 but iphone 14 hang issue coming again and again when getting call and its ringing.

ringing screen hang and not able to swipe call button.

more precise i can say only with swipe screen .

screen with red and green button i do not see any issue.

either i need replacement or resolution.

please suggest.

iPhone 14 screen freezing during calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.