Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Column widthon Mail for OSX Big Sur

I'm having an issue setting the column width on the mail app (in column layout mode). I can temporarily set them but they revert back once the window is closed and re-opened.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 7:26 AM

5 replies

Feb 19, 2021 5:56 PM in response to Eric--F

Yes, this is when viewing the main list of emails in column mode. I can set it exactly the way I want it but the minute I close the window and re-open it it loses the settings and reverts back to what it was. As a side note, there is also missing the paper clip icon on the listing of emails that contain attachments. These is a POP account.

Feb 20, 2021 2:17 PM in response to eflyer

I think I solved the problem. I had another folder called "Sent Items" that apparently share the same column settings with the main Inbox. Setting the column widths there fixed the issue on Inbox and now the settings are remembered. It's unfortunate that all folders share the same column settings since the Sent Items need a different set of columns. But that's a different issue. Thank you all for your help.

Feb 19, 2021 3:24 PM in response to eflyer

Hi there eflyer,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you are changing how you are viewing your emails, but it is not staying that way after you quit the Mail app. Can you clarify if you are referring to viewing your mailbox or when you are composing an email?

If you are talking about viewing your mailbox, this article may help: Read emails in Mail on Mac.

If you mean when you are composing a new email, this article might be more helpful: Format text in emails in Mail on Mac.

We hope this helps!

Feb 20, 2021 11:02 AM in response to eflyer

Hi again eflyer,

Thanks for clarifying. Does it matter if you are using Mail full screen or not? Are you opening Mail by Shift clicking or do you use any third party security software on your Mac? If you are using a third party security software, try uninstalling it. If this issue continues, try starting your Mac in safe mode. This article will show you how: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

We hope this helps!

Feb 20, 2021 1:37 PM in response to jdo_apple

I did more testing and the problem is even more interesting. The order of the columns seem to matter. The order I want is Attachments-From-Subject-DateReceived-Size. When arranged that way, the width of Attachment and From is remembered but not the rest of the columns. If I rearrange to Attachment-From-DateReceived-Size-Subject it works fine. All widths are remembered. But I don't like that arrangement :-(. Seems like any column I add to the right of Subject loses its width, including Subject.

No, this is a new 13" MBP M1 without third party software. I always start Mail from the dock.

Column widthon Mail for OSX Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.