Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library (multiple)

When I upgraded to Catalina, I had an issue with my photo library upgrading, so I ended up rebuilding a new one. I now have 2 libraries, once called: Photos Library and one called Catalina Photos Library... The one that I use as my System Photo Library is the one called Catalina Photos Library... Anyway, I thought I could just delete the old "Photo Library", but it always says "Modified Today"... so I'm afraid to remove it. Does anyone know why the old Photo Library would show as modified? Both Libraries indicate modified within a couple of minutes of each other. Can I delete the old library?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 8:23 AM

Photos regularly undertakes various background tasks such as face scanning, etc and any changes will result in the Library package being modified.

If you are happy that all of your photos have been transferred to the new library - maybe by checking the total number of photos and videos in each library then you are fine to delete the old library. One way to check everything is OK is to export all your photos to a folder. If any of the photos are corrupted then an error message will be reported. Note if you have your library set to optimise storage then selecting export will cause all of your photos to be downloaded thus significantly increasing the size of your library.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2021 8:23 AM in response to simpsong00

Photos regularly undertakes various background tasks such as face scanning, etc and any changes will result in the Library package being modified.

If you are happy that all of your photos have been transferred to the new library - maybe by checking the total number of photos and videos in each library then you are fine to delete the old library. One way to check everything is OK is to export all your photos to a folder. If any of the photos are corrupted then an error message will be reported. Note if you have your library set to optimise storage then selecting export will cause all of your photos to be downloaded thus significantly increasing the size of your library.

Photos Library (multiple)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.