Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iPhone to MacBook

i just got the Macbook pro and im wonder if charging my iphone damages the battery of my macbook since it's consuming its battery as well so i'll charge my macbook too then help the battery cycle count go up?

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 5:08 PM

4 replies

Feb 17, 2021 5:11 PM in response to ethanfrombacoor

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device.

Your computer performs best when connected to AC power. It can use the full output of the Power Adapter AND when doing especially challenging work will also freely "borrow" power from the battery. In some cases, the charged state may even decline during stressful work.

When used only on battery, your computer has no extra cushion of power, and will perform more slowly. However, for ordinary non-stressful tasks this may not be objectionable (possibly not even noticeable.)

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which will be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. There are three micro-controllers cooperating on battery and charging issues, and your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

Charging iPhone to MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.