Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2012 - semi broken display

Hi.

Today, suddenly, my iMac’s (2012 - 21” - 8 + ssd) display fell down and got a little bit broken in the lower left corner. I re-allied it reconnecting both the data and power cables but it restarted in protection mode (very slow). I then removed it again, detached and reattached the data cable (on the display) and the camera’s cable (on the MB). I then remounted the display and works correctly. Unfortunayely, during shut down, the fan spins up at max speed until I detach the power cable.

Any suggestion? Could it be SSD Fan Control (which I can’t set to anything as nothing is visible in it maybe because not compatible with Mac Os Catalina)?

Tnx in advance

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 1:49 PM

The thermal sensor could have come loose in the fall. You can check and see if you can reattach it. You can also try resetting the SMC as that is in charge of the system fan:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

3 replies

Feb 20, 2021 7:50 AM in response to r_scheid

Thanks for helping. The thermal sensor looks ok. Everything lools ok. As the machine is running is now running well (fans at 1.400 rpm) everything is ok. Whenever the fans slow down to 0 rpm, after a couple of seconds, they respin up to 2.800 rpm. This happen especially when the machine is shut down. Fans get running at 2.800 rpm with the machine shut down! Not a problem. Going to replace it asap with a MacMini M1 or next gen iMac 24".

Simon

iMac 2012 - semi broken display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.