Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac memory depleted II

Recently I keep seeing a message to close applications because of not enough memory. But of the 16 GB physical memory I have I'm using a bit over half of that even when (as seen below) I have one of larger and often used applications open. So what's going on here and what do I need to do to alter this situation?

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 5:58 AM

curly1,

Reviewing your screenshot, almost 14 GB of your 16 GB available is being used. With less than 2 GB free any fluctuation may cause the alert you've described. We recommend quitting any task that is using a majority of your available memory, as shown in Activity Monitor, when it is not in use.

Cheers.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 5:58 AM in response to curly1

curly1,

Reviewing your screenshot, almost 14 GB of your 16 GB available is being used. With less than 2 GB free any fluctuation may cause the alert you've described. We recommend quitting any task that is using a majority of your available memory, as shown in Activity Monitor, when it is not in use.

Cheers.

Feb 21, 2021 3:00 PM in response to curly1

Hello curly1,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with your Mac displaying that you do not have enough memory. We'd like to get you pointed in the right direction to isolate and resolve this issue. Get started here: If your Mac runs slowly

This will help you optimize your device's performance. You can also learn more about Activity Monitor here: Activity Monitor User Guide

Take care.

Feb 21, 2021 3:53 PM in response to Brian_P7

I appreciate your attempt to help but as far as I can tell the article which you alluded to said nothing and did nothing to alleviate my Mac's [supposed] memory issues.

The issues isn't a performance/slowness problem-I'm not seeing anything of that kind. In fact except for that warning I'm not experiencing any problems. As mentioned above the Mac has more than enough memory onboard that this situation shouldn't be happening at all. And, again, the article didn't address that.

So, please, if you have something more to offer I would be happy to hear it.

Mac memory depleted II

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.