Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message rejected due to local policy. ??

Using my @me.com email address for many-many years and about 4 months ago I am finding out that emails are being rejected. Or never received. In my inbox or when sent to another... they have simply vanished. Is my account being filtered?

Message rejected SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
   554 5.7.1 [CS01] Message rejected due to local policy. Please visit https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204137

iMac Pro

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 2:04 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 21, 2021 10:56 AM in response to fallingrock

fallingrock wrote:

I'm seeing it occasionally when my mailing list server sends messages to mac.com subscribers (closed loop confirmation, before you jump to a conclusion that I'm a spammer).

I don't know if the local policy relates to Apples policies, the users configuration, or some other system

I’ll assume that this is not related to the original question save possibly for the reported error—these mixed threads tend to get confusing for me, particularly as (if?) (when?) the problems and the symptoms and the causes diverge, unfortunately.

Your mail is very likely being detected as spam: Postmaster information for iCloud Mail - Apple Support

Bulk mailings will routinely run afoul of spam detection.

Feb 21, 2021 11:17 AM in response to fallingrock

fallingrock wrote:

Yes, I've read through that ... and I am compliant with all the recommendations (dkim, spf, dmarc, etc).

Your mail messages are probably still being detected as spam.

There are commercial vendors which invest substantially in maintaining reputation and avoiding (mis)detection as spam with their mailing lists products, and their messages will still be detected as spam.

Beyond the article and its DNS and message-contents and other suggestions, nobody here can help you with spam (mis)detection on the Apple mail servers, you’ll need to discuss this directly with the folks at Apple Support. And those folks may nor be particularly accessible for discussions.

My gripe is that the error says "Local policy" but the page it refers you to doesn't mention the local policy at all.

Route your gripe here, then: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Feb 21, 2021 10:28 AM in response to PacemanVenice

I’m not entirely clear on who is getting that 554 5.7.1 error; are you seeing that, or are folks sending to you seeing that?

in general, the mail server you’re sending to (or through) doesn’t like your messages, and is rejecting them.

If you’re sending, all users, or maybe those from just one domain, or maybe just one recipient user?

If you’re sending, check with the intended mail recipient, and who will then likely need to contact their mail provider.

It’s also possible that somebody here is be trying to relay mail through an intermediate server, and getting rejected.

Here is some info for folks running mail servers sending to iCloud addresses: Postmaster information for iCloud Mail - Apple Support

Message rejected due to local policy. ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.