Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message when attempting to 'open' High Sierra update from app store?

The screenshot below is where I click "Open" on the High Sierra app (from the app store) to install the update. The next screenshot shows what happens after I click "open".

This is the error message I recieve after clicking "open". Any suggestions as to why this is happening? I have a MacBook Pro 17" mid 2010 which, according to support and community inquiry, I'm told should be able to upgrade to HighSierra.

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 12:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 8:29 AM

Try installing this in Safe Mode, but not using Firefox...

https://itunes.apple.com/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup).

On iPhoto it's been replaced, look for plain Photos App in Applications.

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 20, 2021 1:12 AM in response to inamanukai

What that error message really means is the App Store has detected a copy of the Install macOS High Sierra.app in your Applications folder. Locate it, move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Connect your mac to your router via cable.

Restart your mac, go back that the App Store High Sierra download page it will now say Get or Download.

Do not use the mac while it is downloading or any other devices that share the same internet connection.

Feb 20, 2021 8:57 AM in response to inamanukai

There's another cure for those with limited internet...

If you get a corrupted message...

Naw, not damaged, it's just that you have an old copy already in Applications, there are 2 cures...

Disconnect from the Internet & set the Date back to 2014, then you can run the Install MacsOS High Sierra App in Applications, so expired Certificates are not expired.

Or... trash the Install MacsOS High Sierra.app in Applications then a new copy of a more recent version can be downloaded..

Feb 22, 2021 5:47 AM in response to BDAqua

I was able to back date and install the update! Turns out that update was for High sierra 10.13.4 so still need to download last and final version this MacBook pro can accept.

now having issues with iphoto update. I’m getting an error message stating the version of iphoto won’t update because it belongs to another apple user ID! WTH? I can only guess this is the result of purchasing a refurbished computer. In the end, I may simply need to buy a new laptop 🤒

Error message when attempting to 'open' High Sierra update from app store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.