Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Envelopes print sideways and not on envelope

I'm struggling to print on envelopes (regular letter size).

In Pages (v10.3.9) I choose New Document and then select an envelope template (for example I chose Informal Envelope).

For this example, I'll just leave the generic sample return address and recipient address.

So it looks like this:

Then I choose File -> Print...

And I get this:

As shown above, I select the correct printer, and confirmed that the media will feed from the printer's multi-purpose tray (the only way to feed envelopes) and that the media type is set to Envelope.

An envelope is inserted into the printer's multi-purpose tray (manual feed tray) in the correct orientation as shown on the printer's feed-tray for envelopes.

When I send it to the printer, this is what I get:

I've tried going into Document and then in the Document tab I have tried changing the Page Orientation but that doesn't help.

I've also tried using File -> Page Setup... to set the orientation, which also doesn't help.

I have not tried burning candles while sacrificing a chicken ... but am open to suggestions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 1:30 PM

Hi there TheVirtualTim,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re running into a printing issue with envelopes. We’ll be happy to help.

First, look over these resources:

-Create a custom paper size for printing on Mac

-Choose advanced print settings on Mac

-If you’d like to print envelopes from Contacts, this page can help set that up: Print mailing labels, envelopes, and contact lists in Contacts on Mac

-Print a document or envelope in Pages on Mac

If the issue continues, reach out to the manufacturer of the printer to see if there are additional steps they can have you try. We hope this helps.

Best regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 1:30 PM in response to TheVirtualTim

Hi there TheVirtualTim,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re running into a printing issue with envelopes. We’ll be happy to help.

First, look over these resources:

-Create a custom paper size for printing on Mac

-Choose advanced print settings on Mac

-If you’d like to print envelopes from Contacts, this page can help set that up: Print mailing labels, envelopes, and contact lists in Contacts on Mac

-Print a document or envelope in Pages on Mac

If the issue continues, reach out to the manufacturer of the printer to see if there are additional steps they can have you try. We hope this helps.

Best regards.

Feb 22, 2021 2:43 PM in response to ryane77

On a hunch ... I added the printer a second time only because I've seen a similar issue before.

This is an AirPrint capable printer ... so it's possible to get the AirPrint version of the driver vs. the non-AirPrint version. The driver that was installed was the AirPrint driver (and it worked for everything else without issue ... except the envelopes).

I re-added the printer and this time I forced it to use the non-AirPrint version of the driver. When I try that (using all identical steps as described above) the envelopes print correctly.

It looks like the issue is tied to the AirPrint driver for this printer.

In System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners you can select the printer. Look at the "Kind" field as seen here:

If you see the suffix -AirPrint then the printer is using the AirPrint driver (all AirPrint drivers I've used will have this suffix). If you don't see the suffix then you are probably using the factory driver (e.g. the driver provided by Canon).

Using the non-AirPrint driver solved the issue.

Feb 23, 2021 1:07 AM in response to TheVirtualTim

Hi 'Tim,

Glad to see you have the issue solved.

On my current printer, I did a test print using US Letter size paper after choosing No. 10 envelope as the paper size. As I recall, I placed a small ink dot on the 'top' of the sheet, where my thumb held the paper as I fed it into the rear slot of the printer with my thumb on the face of the paper facing me. The return address and recipient address were printed on the letter size sheet rotated 90° counter clockwise, and centred horizontally on that page. The print was on the same face of the paper as the ink dot, and the return address was close to the edge furthest from the ink dot.

That experiment told me thatThe 'real' envelope would have to be fed into the slot face toward me, left end first and centred left to right in the slot. The centring was easily accomplished, as the paper guides worked as a pair, moving toward or away from each other to maintain a matching distance from the centre line in both directions. The left-end first part, without a built in guide having been noticed, took a bit longer, and a few upside down envelopes to catch onto. but hasn't presented any major issues recently.

Regards,

Barry

Envelopes print sideways and not on envelope

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.