Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing files cause significant volume reduction

Hello everyone, I'm using version 12.11.0.26 with Windows 10. My issue is that when I import a file into iTunes, it is barely audible. If I play the original file, it is much louder. Just noticed this today, never before. Have been using iTunes for more than 10 years. Thanks for any help.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 7:10 PM

Well, this is weird. After playing around with different equalizer settings, the problem has apparently disappeared. I can't replicate it. Now when I import a wma file and convert it to AAC, with the exact same settings as before, it plays fine with adequate volume. Very strange. Oh well.

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 20, 2021 10:59 AM in response to turingtest2

The file, which originally is .wma format, is imported into iTunes and converted to AAC format. When this file is played in iTunes, it can barely be heard. When the original file is played by an app such as Windows Media Player, the volume is normal.

I did find that applying an equalizer and preamp to the AAC file makes the volume acceptable when played in iTunes. I have never had to do this before. This is the first file import I've done under this version of iTunes.

Importing files cause significant volume reduction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.