Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCP error on Apple TV

My AppleTV is giving an HDCP error and won’t play Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime or Peacock .... This suddenly happened and no idea why...

I did a total factory reset on the AppleTV and reloaded up all apps and logged in again (takes ages), I also switched out the HDMI cable (new high speed HDMI) ... still the same problem.

then I moved the appleTV to another room, connected to a TV with an older style HDMI cable, the AppleTV continues to have HDCP playback issues.

I can watch the purchased movies, and any apps in the “my channels” section...

This is - Really frustrating!

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 2:10 PM

Hey there Rodneyyouplonker,

We understand you are seeing an error about HDCP when trying to use certain apps. We'll be happy to help.

You did great by testing a different cable and with a different TV. We recommend trying other HDMI ports just to make sure all options are exhausted.

We also recommend making sure your Apple TV is fully up-to-date. Use this guide: Update Apple TV software

Afterwards, go through the steps below.

1) Unplug the HDMI cable and firmly seat the cable on both ends.

2) Turn off the TV and receiver. Unplug the Apple TV from power, then plug it back in. Power on the TV and receiver.

3) In the TV menu, make sure HDMI is selected

4) Connect the Apple TV directly to the TV, if you're using any kind of receiver or switch.

5) On your Apple TV, go to: Settings > Video and Audio and adjust the HDMI and display settings.

- If you have an Apple TV 4K, go to: Settings > Video & Audio > Check HDMI Connection > Check HDMI Connection

If the issue persists after these steps, we recommend reaching out to Apple directly. Use this link: Get Support

Cheers!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 2:10 PM in response to Rodneyyouplonker

We understand you are seeing an error about HDCP when trying to use certain apps. We'll be happy to help.

You did great by testing a different cable and with a different TV. We recommend trying other HDMI ports just to make sure all options are exhausted.

We also recommend making sure your Apple TV is fully up-to-date. Use this guide: Update Apple TV software

Afterwards, go through the steps below.

1) Unplug the HDMI cable and firmly seat the cable on both ends.

2) Turn off the TV and receiver. Unplug the Apple TV from power, then plug it back in. Power on the TV and receiver.

3) In the TV menu, make sure HDMI is selected

4) Connect the Apple TV directly to the TV, if you're using any kind of receiver or switch.

5) On your Apple TV, go to: Settings > Video and Audio and adjust the HDMI and display settings.

- If you have an Apple TV 4K, go to: Settings > Video & Audio > Check HDMI Connection > Check HDMI Connection

If the issue persists after these steps, we recommend reaching out to Apple directly. Use this link: Get Support

Cheers!

Feb 23, 2021 9:49 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hey Chuck_3rd,

Thanks for all this info. I tried everything.

I even went to the "nuclear option" and factory reset BOTH my LG TV and AppleTV.

Having then spent an hour or more reinstalling the apps etc - I used a brand new HDMI cable and connected it to HDMI ports 1 & then 2 on the TV. Got the same problem.

Then found a 3rd HDMI port on the back of the TV, so tried this & it worked..... BUT....

I was able to see the picture on Peacock TV and Disney+ movies, but as soon as I tried to use the AppleTV remote to control the volume on my TV, it asked to set up volume control (which failed) and then I was back to the same black screen (no picture) only sound..... I have NO IDEA what to do next.... I really don't want to buy a new AppleTV.... what are my options?

Mar 2, 2021 3:27 PM in response to judysings

After having done factory resets on both the AppleTV and my LG TV, the problem continued. So I purchased a new AppleTV and (of course) everything works perfectly. ugh... So Apple wins & I have to spend another $200 to fix an issue that isn't my fault... How do I get Apple to fix the other AppleTV? That way at least I could use it in the future with another TV.

Feb 23, 2021 11:00 AM in response to Rodneyyouplonker

Thanks for going through those steps and updating us on the progress. Since it stopped working when the volume control prompt appeared, we recommend double-checking the steps to set that up. View those here: Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote

However, beyond that, the best path forward would be to contact Apple, here: Get Support

Take care!

HDCP error on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.