Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hdcp error on apple tv

I’ve seen several pages with people receiving an error on apple tv saying hdcp error change your hdmi cable.

I just got a new apple tv so I moved the old apple tv to my kids tv. Nothing is new and it literally works daily. Same power cord, hdmi etc.

I even tried three hdmi cords and restarted each time.

The strange thing is the apple tv works and certain apps work like hulu and games, cable app has sound no video, then other apps like D+ don’t work at all.

For many the hdmi cord is non compliant but in my case the only change was the tv. Their tv is only 4 years old but it must not be hdcp compliant. Its also a vizio which is known to have issues with D+.

Unless anyone has any suggestions I’m thinking that’s it.

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 4:02 AM

For many the hdmi cord is non compliant but in my case the only change was the tv.

HDMI cords are indifferent about HDCP. It is about the devices and their ports. The cords just transport the data.

Their tv is only 4 years old but it must not be hdcp compliant. Its also a vizio which is known to have issues with D+.

All commercially available content requires HDCP. Any digital TV would be HDCP compliant. (Computer monitors and projectors are a different story.)

4K content from devices requires HDMI 2.0 ports that are HDCP 2.2 compliant — but that wouldn’t apply to a non-4K Apple TV box.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2020 4:02 AM in response to lmbpiglet

For many the hdmi cord is non compliant but in my case the only change was the tv.

HDMI cords are indifferent about HDCP. It is about the devices and their ports. The cords just transport the data.

Their tv is only 4 years old but it must not be hdcp compliant. Its also a vizio which is known to have issues with D+.

All commercially available content requires HDCP. Any digital TV would be HDCP compliant. (Computer monitors and projectors are a different story.)

4K content from devices requires HDMI 2.0 ports that are HDCP 2.2 compliant — but that wouldn’t apply to a non-4K Apple TV box.

Hdcp error on apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.