Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open GarageBand 10.4.2 file in El Capitan 10.2.0.

It seems that I cannot open a GarageBand 10.4.2 file in my old GarageBand 10.2.0 version. I am stuck on El Capitan on my mid-2009 MBP and I cannot upgrade to the later version of GarageBand. Can you please confirm if I have a compatibility issue and if so, is there anyway to workaround this?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 12:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 2:25 AM

You cannot use the same garageband projects across two different versions of GarageBand. Once you upgrade a GarageBand project in a newer version, you can only open it with a newer version. Make a copy of your project, before you let a newer version touch it.

You will have to restore the previous versions of your project from the last backup you made, before the project has been upgraded to the new version, if you want to use it again on the older Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 2:25 AM in response to TtTone

You cannot use the same garageband projects across two different versions of GarageBand. Once you upgrade a GarageBand project in a newer version, you can only open it with a newer version. Make a copy of your project, before you let a newer version touch it.

You will have to restore the previous versions of your project from the last backup you made, before the project has been upgraded to the new version, if you want to use it again on the older Mac.

Cannot open GarageBand 10.4.2 file in El Capitan 10.2.0.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.