Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incoming vs sent text tones

I’m sure someone knows the answer to this mystery. On my iPhone SE, I have the text tone set to the default tone, the familiar “ping” sound. When I’m in a conversation with someone and I receive an incoming message, I sometimes hear the “ping” but most of the time I hear the message sent sound - that short “zoop” sound. Anyone know why? I’m wondering if Apple set it this way because hearing the “ping” sound all the time might be annoying if you’re exchanging lots of messages in a short time period. I bring it up because I sometimes miss incoming messages due to that quieter sound.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 10:04 AM

Hi phasersonstun,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you're hearing different sounds when receiving text messages on your iPhone. If your message is open and you receive a reply, the sound is different than what you'd hear if your Messages app was closed. This is expected behavior.

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 10:04 AM in response to phasersonstun

Hi phasersonstun,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you're hearing different sounds when receiving text messages on your iPhone. If your message is open and you receive a reply, the sound is different than what you'd hear if your Messages app was closed. This is expected behavior.

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Incoming vs sent text tones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.