Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Notifications

When an iPhone user sends me a text I receive an alert tone.

When an Android (or other OS) user sends me a text I do not receive an alert (neither vibration nor tone).

I'm using an iPhone SE, OS 15.1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tim

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 9:57 AM

6 replies

Dec 1, 2021 8:46 AM in response to conno1td

Hello conno1td,

We understand you're not hearing the text tone alert. We'll be glad to assist.

Verify "Hide Alerts" isn't turned on. Open the message conversation, tap the name at the top. Look for Hide Alerts there. If those are on, you won't receive a notification when they send a message. More information is here: Change message notifications on iPhone - Apple Support

Let us know if that helps.

Take care.

Dec 1, 2021 2:38 PM in response to conno1td

Tim,

We appreciate the additional information. We have some additional questions for you.

We understand there isn't a sound when you receive a SMS message, but where do you expect to see the notification? Are the notifications in Notification Center?

Do you receive SMS messages from short numbers? For instance, if you receive a verification code, does that make a sound?

Have you made any other changes to your iPhone since this started other than updating the iOS software?

Please verify there aren't any Focus or Do Not Disturb schedules set. Go to Settings > Focus > Do Not Disturb. Make sure nothing is turned on there.

Regards.

Dec 1, 2021 2:54 PM in response to 1ssmith

I can discern no real pattern in alert tones -- always from iPhone users, usually (but not always) as needed for two-part verification logins (bank, credits cards, etc. -- but I know to be looking), AAA weather alerts.

Otherwise, I only know I have a message if I look at my home screen and see a red circle with a number by my Messages icon.

Thanks.

Tim

Text Notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.