Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

iPhone Making Random Noise in iMessage with Sound Off

Every once in a while, i will be in iMessage and will get a low toned “doo-doon” sound come from my phone despite my phone being on mute. It’s usually when I enter a chat with someone or go into or out of the information page. This only started with ios16 launch a few months ago. Anyone experience this or know what it is?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 1:43 PM

I have the same noise that plays in iMessage too, it’s not a notification & it just randomly happens. My biggest fear is someone hacking into my phone bc why is it that no one knows what the sound is. Could that be a possibility? my heart literally stops when I hear it bc I don’t have an explanation so I worry it’s someone hacking into the phone. Idk.

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2023 1:43 PM in response to Eliwelli

I have the same noise that plays in iMessage too, it’s not a notification & it just randomly happens. My biggest fear is someone hacking into my phone bc why is it that no one knows what the sound is. Could that be a possibility? my heart literally stops when I hear it bc I don’t have an explanation so I worry it’s someone hacking into the phone. Idk.

Jan 12, 2023 2:49 PM in response to Eliwelli

Yes mine only does it with the message app too. It happens when I go into or out of the messaging app. Usually while swiping out of or clicking the back button. Sometimes while it is just sitting there with the app open without me touching it. It happens with the sound both on or off. I have searched the internet for ever and just now found your question and I was like!! That’s exactly it! I tried contacting apple too and they also don’t know how to answer me. Hopefully we will find out! Thank you!

Feb 23, 2023 8:59 AM in response to Eliwelli

I arrived to this page after searching for this exact issue. I would be rereading a text message and the hang up sound (what I called it) would happen for several weeks now.

I noticed the voice to text microphone on the bottom flash the last time it happened, so I knew that was where it was coming from.

After reading all of the comments, I went back to try and recreate the noise and was able to successfully recreate it only by going to the text thread, clicking on the contact, then going to info, scrolling all the way to the bottom and then going back to the text.

I heard the noise, then saw that voice to text microphone on the bottom of the text change to: 00.00. It was a timer…waiting for my voice to start. I was only able to recreate the noise a time or two, but it most definitely has to do with the voice to text microphone.

I wondered the same as others: “does in mean the other person is in the same text as me?” “Did I accidentally share my location with this contact?” Ultimately, I think those are incorrect. It’s just the iPhone attempting to record voice to text, for whatever reason.

Jan 19, 2023 1:31 PM in response to Eliwelli

I too have tried to find the words to explain this and everyone just thinks I’m nuts or thinks I’m stupid and talking about my incoming text tone 😭 I was wondering if it’s telling you that you are both looking at the chat? That’s my only guess. I’m so glad I finally googled and found this forum. I was about to give up because everything was about turning off your text tone. We need an answer!

Dec 15, 2022 12:38 PM in response to Eliwelli

Greetings Eliwelli,

If you need help adjusting your notifications settings on your iPhone, begin by following the guidance found here:

Change notification settings on iPhone

"Change notification settings

Most notification settings can be customized for each app. You can turn app notifications on or off, have notifications play a sound, choose how and where you want app notifications to appear when your device is unlocked, and more.

1. Go to Settings  > Notifications.
  2. Choose how you want notifications displayed on the Lock Screen:
    • View just the number of notifications: Tap Count.
    • View the notifications grouped into stacks by app: Tap Stack.
    • View the notifications in a list: Tap List.
  1. When notifications arrive, you can change the layout by pinching the notifications on the Lock Screen.
  2. To schedule a notifications summary, tap Scheduled Summary, then turn on Scheduled Summary.
  3. Select the apps you want notifications for in your summary, set a time for delivery of your summary, then tap the Back button at the top left. (See schedule a notifications summary.)
  4. To choose when you want notification previews to appear, tap Show Previews, select an option—Always, When Unlocked, or Never—then tap the Back button at the top left.
  5. Previews can include things like text (from Messages and Mail) and invitation details (from Calendar). You can override this setting for individual apps.
  6. Tap an app below Notification Style, then turn Allow Notifications on or off.
  7. If you turn on Allow Notifications, choose when you want the notifications delivered—immediately or in the scheduled notifications summary—and turn Time Sensitive Notifications on or off.
  8. For many apps, you can also set a notification banner style and turn sounds and badges on or off.
  9. Tap Notification Grouping, then choose how you want the notifications grouped:
    • Automatic: The notifications from the app are grouped according to organizing criteria within the app, such as by topic or thread.
    • By App: All the notifications from the app are grouped together.
    • Off: Turn off grouping.

To turn off notifications selectively for apps, go to Settings > Notifications > Siri Suggestions, then turn off any app.

When you use Focus, it delays the delivery of notifications on iPhone to prevent interruptions. You can schedule a time to receive a summary of the notifications you missed. See Schedule a notification summary."

Take care.

Jan 24, 2023 8:04 AM in response to Eliwelli

This happens with mine as well, even in DND mode. I’m wondering if it’s somehow a notification letting us know that the persons message we have open is looking at the message or has the chat open? Although it’s happened for iPhone and android users I’ve been texting. I’m thinking both users are in the message? But who knows 🤷🏼‍♀️

iPhone Making Random Noise in iMessage with Sound Off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.