Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: Move a Final Cut Pro library

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Library from Final Cut Pro x to save space not working

My Library in Final Cut Pro reached a size just over one TB. After moving it to an external drive and deleting the original, I seem to have only freed up about 300 GB room on my solid state drive. In the storage list, 1.01 TB of OTHER still exists. Can anyone please help??

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 11:25 AM

First, try restarting in Safe Mode, then restart normally again. This may reclaim some of that purgeable space.

Second, run this in the Terminal and tell us what the output is:

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

Similar questions

15 replies

Feb 22, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Big Sur 11.2.1 (iMac 20,1) The info is under System Information - Storage Management. When I posted the question, it still showed 1.01 TB in Other. Right now, that has dropped to 159.71 GB! (Could it have taken a few hours to actually delete the files?) Yet Disk Utility shows that only 337 GB is free, so about 663 GB of space is still "missing"

Feb 22, 2021 10:37 AM in response to cedes

Yet Disk Utility shows that only 337 GB is free, so about 663 GB of space is still "missing"

Not missing, it is probably marked as "purgeable".

You can see that if you select your drive in the Finder and press Command-I.

It may say something like

Available: X GB (Y GB purgeable)

where X is the total you expect and Y is those 663GB or thereabouts.

Feb 24, 2021 11:06 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

My apologies, but I just haven't been able to restart in terminal as I am in the midst of a project that involves dealing with many video files each night. (Our music festival requires all online submissions.) Meanwhile, the free space has completely shown up -- 1.25 TB, so the urgency has passed. Thank-you for your attention and suggestions.

Deleting Library from Final Cut Pro x to save space not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.