Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Library still taking up storage

I'm having a problem that doesn't seem uncommon for iMovie users. However, all solutions I've found have not been applicable to my specific situaiton. In the app, my iMovie Library is essentially empty. At least it's not 50 GB worth of content which is what my Mac is telling me exists. Even in my iMovie Library/Show Package Contents, the only files in there is what I currently have.

To preface this, I had the issue with 100 GB a couple of days ago and just ended up deleting the entire iMovie file which caused iMovie to act all weird and randomly crash. I restarted my computer, uploaded 2 hours worth of basic video (definitely not 50 gigs worth) and the app began working properly again. There's no extra files or "events" anywhere that I've been able to find. Should I delete the entire file again or is there a step I'm missing?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 4:09 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 23, 2021 12:51 AM in response to sosa_1313

So, if it says 50 GB that should be what is in the library. What makes you think that it’s less?

Two hours of video might well be 50 gigs, depending on the format, bitrate, frame rate, compression, etc.

Perhaps you have a lot of render files. Open the iMovie preferences box and delete the render files. It is a harmless procedure. See if that makes any significant difference.

If you move your library to an external drive, formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), how much does that decrease the GB on your internal drive?

— Rich

iMovie Library still taking up storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.