You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Keyboard 2 home and end keys do literally nothing in TextEdit...

So I want them to work like they do on every other computer in the world -- when you press the home button it goes to the beginning of the line, and when you press the end button it goes to the end of the line. Ctrl+Home should go to the beginning of the document and Ctrl+End should go to the end. Holding Shift down while doing any of the above will highlight text.

I have tried the DefaultKeyBinding.dict trick (found here: https://damieng.com/blog/2015/04/24/make-home-end-keys-behave-like-windows-on-mac-os-x ) and that does not apparently work in Big Sur on an M1 Mac Mini with an Apple Magic 2 bluetooth keyboard. At least, it's not working for me.

Why isn't there just an option somewhere in System Preferences to "make home/end keys act like they do on every other computer in the world" option?

How do I make these keys behave normally?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 1:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 1:38 PM

So, here was the problem...

Apple, in its infinite wisdom, chooses to HIDE THE FILE EXTENSION instead of REMOVING IT when you go into Finder and delete it from the file-name.

The file I created was DefaultKeyBinding.dict.txt, not DefaultKeyBinding.dict -- EVEN THOUGH I TURNED OFF THE 'USE .TXT EXTENSION' CHECKBOX IN TEXTEDIT!!!!!

So, fine, I find the file in Finder and press Enter to rename it, then delete the .txt from the end...

AND MAC OS DIDN'T ACTUALLY REMOVE THE EXTENSION, IT JUST HID IT FROM ME!!!!!!!

If you then right-click on the file and select "Get Info" from the menu, you can see that the filename STILL HAS THE .TXT EXTENSION ON THE END!!!!!! Apparently when I deleted the .txt from the end, Apple decided that what I *actually* wanted was for them to HIDE THE EXTENSION FROM ME, BECAUSE THERE'S A CHECKBOX THAT SAYS "HIDE EXTENSION" AND IT IS NOW CHECKED!!!!!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH OF MY TIME YOU HAVE WASTED WITH THIS?!!!!

So the trick is, to right-click on the file, select "Get Info" from the menu, then delete the .txt extension FROM INSIDE THAT GET INFO MENU!!!!!!

WHAT A COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME THIS HAS BEEN, JUST TO GET MY STUPID HOME AND END KEYS TO WORK!!!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2021 1:38 PM in response to Laurence5905

So, here was the problem...

Apple, in its infinite wisdom, chooses to HIDE THE FILE EXTENSION instead of REMOVING IT when you go into Finder and delete it from the file-name.

The file I created was DefaultKeyBinding.dict.txt, not DefaultKeyBinding.dict -- EVEN THOUGH I TURNED OFF THE 'USE .TXT EXTENSION' CHECKBOX IN TEXTEDIT!!!!!

So, fine, I find the file in Finder and press Enter to rename it, then delete the .txt from the end...

AND MAC OS DIDN'T ACTUALLY REMOVE THE EXTENSION, IT JUST HID IT FROM ME!!!!!!!

If you then right-click on the file and select "Get Info" from the menu, you can see that the filename STILL HAS THE .TXT EXTENSION ON THE END!!!!!! Apparently when I deleted the .txt from the end, Apple decided that what I *actually* wanted was for them to HIDE THE EXTENSION FROM ME, BECAUSE THERE'S A CHECKBOX THAT SAYS "HIDE EXTENSION" AND IT IS NOW CHECKED!!!!!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH OF MY TIME YOU HAVE WASTED WITH THIS?!!!!

So the trick is, to right-click on the file, select "Get Info" from the menu, then delete the .txt extension FROM INSIDE THAT GET INFO MENU!!!!!!

WHAT A COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME THIS HAS BEEN, JUST TO GET MY STUPID HOME AND END KEYS TO WORK!!!

Magic Keyboard 2 home and end keys do literally nothing in TextEdit...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.