Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to free up storage, but can’t seem to get anywhere

I am trying to free up storage and can’t seem to figure out why my files app takes up so much space

It takes up 17 gb of space, yet when I go in there, there is only 1 file that is 2gb. There is nothing in my recently deleted, and everything else seems to be clear of files. In the photo I attached, all of the folders have no files in there. So how the heck is it taking up so much space!?

I got got rid of most of my photos, all my internet cashe, and everything else that I could think of that would take up storage. I have many books on the iPad, but I want to keep those and it seems like they aren’t taking up too much space as the storage section says it only has a total of 83gb. What can I even do now? How do I free up more storage? Why does my files app use so much space?

Thanks

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 10:36 AM

Updating your iPad would be a sensible place to start. Once installed, the “other” category (that currently consumes a considerable proportion of your already limited storage space) may resolve itself.

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 24, 2021 11:26 AM in response to BobSn

Here's the thing.

A 32 GBs storage iPad starts out with approx 30 GBs.,after initial internal flash drive formatting.

Minus approx. 4-5GBs for your iOS 12.5.1 version, leaves 25-26 GBs.

Minus 2-4 GBs, for iOS/iPadOS system operational reserve, that MUST BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES, leaves approx. between 21-23 GBs of actual, usable data storage space.

Your apps appear to be using half of that space, leaving approx. 11-12 GBs of actual usable internal data storage space.

Other looks like it is taking up less than half of your remaining storage.

That isn't too unusual.

Something in your Files app is taking up a lot of space,

You have any videos stored in the Files app?

You need to check all the folders in the Files app.

There must be somethng in there eating up all your remaining internal data storage space.

Feb 25, 2021 1:38 AM in response to BobSn

BobSn wrote:

WOW. I can't believe what just happened. I installed the update, then magically, my storage freed up big time. I now only have 9.2 GB out of the total 32 GB used. Thanks!

You’re very welcome. I’m delighted that the solution worked for you.

A significant proportion of the consumed space was the update, already downloaded and unpacked, was awaiting installation.

Trying to free up storage, but can’t seem to get anywhere

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.