Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone11 keeps muting/hiding alerts on group chat

So for the past week my iPhone 11 keeps muting/hiding message alerts for a group chat on iMessage. I keep unchecking the hide alerts option but no more then 30 seconds later it’s muted again with the little moon symbol on the chat.

I’d really like to get this sorted without leaving the chat as I like to look back on previous files and messages sent, but obviously if there’s no other option I’ll have to give it a go.

I have already tried turning my phone on and off several times and have checked if it needs updating, but it is up to date.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 4:17 AM

So I had to completely delete the group chat as nothing was working and create a new one, so I unfortunately lost all my previous messages and attachments which is really annoying. However a week later, another person in the same group chat had the same problem occur on their phone. So once again we had to delete a group chat and create another one.

I do hope this problem is sorted soon as I don't want to have to continue to keep deleting chats and creating new ones, loosing all previous messages.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 4:17 AM in response to Alice_

So I had to completely delete the group chat as nothing was working and create a new one, so I unfortunately lost all my previous messages and attachments which is really annoying. However a week later, another person in the same group chat had the same problem occur on their phone. So once again we had to delete a group chat and create another one.

I do hope this problem is sorted soon as I don't want to have to continue to keep deleting chats and creating new ones, loosing all previous messages.

Feb 26, 2021 2:13 PM in response to Alice_

Hello Alice_,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you are not receiving alerts for a specific group conversation in the Messages app. We'll do our best to lend a hand.

It sounds like you know how to unhide the alerts for this group message, but it won't save those changes, since it reverts back to hiding the alerts. You've done some good troubleshooting steps. The only other thing we'd confirm is that you aren't using another Apple device with the Messages app. If you use other Apple devices with Messages, the conversation might be set to Hide alerts there and pushing that setting to your associated devices.

If that doesn't work, then we'd simply delete the group conversation and see if it persists when the conversation continues. Keep in mind, you would lose the conversation and any information shared in that group message.

Hope it helps out, take care!

iPhone11 keeps muting/hiding alerts on group chat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.