Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group text alerts keep hiding themselves

I have a group text with 3 other people. Recently, I stopped receiving alerts for this chat thread on my phone.

I clicked on "Info" for the group text and turned "Hide Alerts" OFF.

Later I realized it had turned itself back on.

I swiped left on the group text and un-muted it.

'

At first, this seemed to work. But I also sync messages with an iPad. For the next new message in this group, I read and responded to it on my iPad. And then, I noticed the group text was once again muted on my phone.

The muting only happens on my phone, and only with this group text. Do Not Disturb is only enabled overnight, and I can't find anything other settings (Notifications, Messages, or the Contact for each person) that might be causing this problem.

I'm using an iPhone 12 and iPad Air, both running iOS 14.4.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 1:50 PM

7 replies

Feb 22, 2021 8:25 AM in response to karina184

Thanks for the suggestion. I deleted the group message thread this morning and started a new one with the same group. So far, so good. Yesterday I made it nearly 24 hours without the thread being muted, so I will monitor this until tomorrow and report back.

FWIW, a couple things:

• the problem does not appear to be related to synchronization with another device. It just occurs at random on my phone regardless of whether I've used the iPad.
  • the now-deleted group message thread took up significantly more storage than any other thread on my phone -- like 5x more (lots of photos). If deleting the thread solves the problem, I wonder if this was the underlying cause.

Feb 19, 2021 5:57 AM in response to KMB_12

Hide alerts is not enabled on the iPad. The muting happens only on my iPhone.

Restarting both devices did not resolve the issue. In fact, just a few minutes ago the group messages were muted on my phone. I un-muted them and then restarted the phone. Immediately after the restart, the thread was muted once again.

I find myself constantly checking the group message thread, finding it muted, and unmuting it. The problem is only happening to one group and seems to occur frequently and at random.

Feb 27, 2021 6:10 AM in response to lindsayla18

I was having the same problem with 2 group threads. Total of 4 people on one thread, and 3 people on the other thread. The thread with 3 people are the same 3 of the 4 people on the other thread. I deleted both threads, as suggested above, on Feb 22. That SEEMED to do the trick, UNTIL this morning, when the second post ever to this new thread shows a crescent moon and that “hide alerts” has turned itself on!

Please help!!!

Group text alerts keep hiding themselves

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.