Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

erasing data on old iPad to pass on to another user

I have followed the Apple instructions about erasing data and during the process I have encountered a request for a "restrictions Code"? I don't have one just a pass code! I have tried using the failed pass code (10 failed attempts) to erase data, no luck after 2 hours of relentlessly re-entering 'wrong pass codes', what should I do now folks?

In anticipation of a helpful reply.....

Christopher

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 8:41 AM

You’ll need to follow this procedure:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

This process will securely erase all data from the iPad, remove the Activation Lock - and disassociate the iPad from your AppleID account. Upon conclusion, the iPad can be safely passed to a new owner, or otherwise disposed of. 

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2021 8:41 AM in response to skippers walker

You’ll need to follow this procedure:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

This process will securely erase all data from the iPad, remove the Activation Lock - and disassociate the iPad from your AppleID account. Upon conclusion, the iPad can be safely passed to a new owner, or otherwise disposed of. 

Feb 25, 2021 9:04 AM in response to skippers walker

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime passcode, one of the two procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of supporting iPadOS 13.x or later, you should update to the most current version before attempting to resolve a forgotten ScreenTime passcode. The most recent iPadOS updates have introduced a new mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data. In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

Feb 25, 2021 8:57 AM in response to LotusPilot

Done all that but (a) I haven't got a "restrictions pass code" so I am unable to get into stage one of the erase procedure using the prescribed Apple method! (b) I have tried using the 'failed passcode' method to erase data but again after 2 hours of re-entering a wrong pass code nothing happens apart from going around and around in circles! I give up.

regards

Christopher

Feb 25, 2021 10:12 AM in response to LotusPilot

I regret that I'm becoming even more confused about what at first appeared to be a straightforward procedure.

I have the correct pass code for the old iPad. I have backed up all data to iCloud and signed out. I have signed out of iTunes and Apps. I have disabled the location finder function and then attempted to "erase all data & settings" I was then invited to enter my correct pass code - done. Then I was requested to enter my "restrictions code". I have never had this code, nor created one! From that point onwards my 'erase all data and settings' progress has been stopped. I then tried to enter 10 failed pass codes to erase data, I just go on and on doing this with no tangible result. % hours have passed.

I rest my case

C

Feb 25, 2021 8:01 PM in response to skippers walker

Computer devices are frustrating sometimes, but the answer is usually pretty simple after it's all figured out.

If I read everything correctly, you have two devices.....one older iPad and one newer iPad. You are trying to reset the older iPad to give to someone else. Both devices are synced together right now. You keep getting a prompt to enter a restrictions code, but don't have it. Okay, I think I got it all.

So if I'm not mistaken, the restriction code is used to restrict uses of different apps or time spent on an app or to block a user from accessing adult websites. I believe it's a four digit code. In the older iOS versions, Restrictions had it's own tab under the General settings. In the newer iOS versions, it was incorporated into the Screen Time setting.

Now if your iPads are synced, then a restriction code on either device may work on both devices. You mentioned not knowing or ever having a restriction code. If that's the case, then I don't know how you would ever turn it off. Maybe another person in the family had entered one at some point. Can you still access all the settings on the old iPad to see if Restrictions is turned on?

If you have put any restrictions on anything using Screen Time in your new iPad, maybe those need to be reversed before you can reset the old iPad. I don't know off hand if Screen Time uses a code or not. I'm sorry I may not be much help, but sometimes talking it through may trigger a step that was missed.

Feb 25, 2021 10:21 PM in response to MWPMWP

Hello and thank you for your patient and comprehensive reply to my question. Your overall summary of my problem is correct. The old iPad in question actually belongs to my wife and she recently replaced it with an iPad Air 3.

I must add that we are both in our 70's and not very tech savvy! The intention is to pass on the old iPad to another younger family member, baring in mind that it is only using OS 10.3.3 (its max update) and therefore it's long term efficacy may be limited. You are also correct by recognising that the 'Restrictions' slider option is 'on' and thereby I guess lies the crux of the problem. My wife is not aware of consciously applying this function at anytime, hence having no memory or record of the 'code'!

I will check to see if there are any restrictions on the 'new' iPad that may possibly be affecting the old machine. I hasten to add that the new iPad was set up using an Apple advisor to ensure that the operation went smoothly, which it appeared to do.

I guess that if this magic restrictions code is not retrievable then the 'erase' process must be abandoned and the iPad scrapped?

Thank again for your time and for corresponding about this irksome problem.

Kind regards SW

erasing data on old iPad to pass on to another user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.