Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Disc Utility does allow the erase function on my mac mini. How can I proceed?

My Disc Utility does allow the erase function on my mac mini. How can I proceed?

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 11:30 AM

Which drive are you trying to erase? An external drive or an internal drive? You cannot erase the same drive you have booted from. You need to boot from some sort of external media such as a bootable external macOS drive, or a bootable macOS USB installer, or Internet Recovery Mode.

If you are trying to erase an external drive or are having trouble doing this on the internal drive when booted from external media, then make sure to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility since recent versions of Disk Utility from macOS 10.13+ now hide the physical drives from view by default.

If you are running macOS 10.6 to 10.10, then the method of erasing the whole physical drive is a bit different as it may require using the "Partition" tab within Disk Utility.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 11:30 AM in response to Mufasa50

Which drive are you trying to erase? An external drive or an internal drive? You cannot erase the same drive you have booted from. You need to boot from some sort of external media such as a bootable external macOS drive, or a bootable macOS USB installer, or Internet Recovery Mode.

If you are trying to erase an external drive or are having trouble doing this on the internal drive when booted from external media, then make sure to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility since recent versions of Disk Utility from macOS 10.13+ now hide the physical drives from view by default.

If you are running macOS 10.6 to 10.10, then the method of erasing the whole physical drive is a bit different as it may require using the "Partition" tab within Disk Utility.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.