Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Freezes on shutown

Running OS Catalina and ever since I upgraded to it, my MacBook Pro keeps freezing on shutdown, just a black screen, then it restarts itself and says an error has occurred. The NVRAM reset does nothing. Nothing is plugged in except the charger cord.

Posted on Feb 25, 2021 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 5:59 AM

Lillyeve1 wrote:

Running OS Catalina and ever since I upgraded to it, my MacBook Pro keeps freezing on shutdown, just a black screen, then it restarts itself and says an error has occurred. The NVRAM reset does nothing. Nothing is plugged in except the charger cord.

You do not make clear what exact Mac is this?

what exact macOS is this?

Old problem, new problem, what changed?

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

please advise...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2021 5:59 AM in response to Lillyeve1

Lillyeve1 wrote:

You do not make clear what exact Mac is this?

what exact macOS is this?

Old problem, new problem, what changed?

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

please advise...

Feb 26, 2021 5:22 AM in response to Lillyeve1

Helped another user who had AntiVirus software installed and had similar issue as yours. She eventually agreed to uninstall as per Developers Instructions - Voila - issue resolved. Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Defrag, VPNs etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS. The Built-in Security of Big Sur and Catalina is all that is required.

If this is not your case - disregard

Freezes on shutown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.