Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode iMac mid 2011

I want connect an Imac 21,5" as external monitor to a Imac 27" 2020. I used apple thunderbolt 3 thunderbolt 2 adapter and thunderbolt cable.

Nothing works.

Neither F2 - cmd+F2 - cmd+fn+F2.

Any suggestion?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 12:14 AM

7 replies

Feb 26, 2021 8:37 AM in response to PaoloFrega

+1 on Jack-19's response.

To add to Jack's information, others have not been able to make that work even on 2009 and 2010 iMacs. Also the poster was using Catalina, not Big Sur. An Apple employee tested and confined from me that Big Sur does not support TDM.

TDM is now totally unsupported technology. Apple started the deprecation of TDM over six years ago by removing its capability starting with Late 2014 iMacs, and threw the last shovel of dirt in tis face in early 2020. They even archived the support article in Early 2020. It won't see further edit or updates.

The cost of MDP cabling alone could buy you a nice used DP monitor at the thrift store. The cost of a Thunderbolt 3 cable and adapter you would need for a 2020 Mac will buy you a new FP monitor on sale.

Target Display Mode iMac mid 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.