Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop one file from uploading to iCloud

How to stop one file from uploading to iCloud without turning off all syncing for my "Desktop and Documents Folders"? I am temporarily storing large files on my hard drive that I do not need/want uploaded to iCloud. Im looking to stop only that specific folder from automatically uploading?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 8:41 AM

If you add the filename extension ".nosync" to the name of a folder, this folder will no longer sync with iCloud.

You will see a crossed out cloud badge behind the name of the folder.

7 replies

Feb 26, 2021 9:38 AM in response to Mr. Mohon

See the article Rename files, folders and disks on Mac - Apple Support

These are some items you should not rename:

• App folders and any items that came with your system, such as the Library folder. (If you change the name of an item and experience problems, change the name back. If this doesn’t help, you may need to reinstall the software.)
  • Filename extensions — the full stop followed by a few letters or words that you see at the end of some filenames (for example, .jpg). If you change an extension, you may no longer be able to open the file with the app that was used to create it.
  • Your home folder — the one with your name on it.

You can drag and drop that folder / file to other location see the article Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Read iCloud Drive FAQ - Apple Support

How to stop one file from uploading to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.