Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set up my Time Capsule to be just a back up disk?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 10:06 AM

11 replies

Feb 27, 2021 12:45 PM in response to BrianOK13

Power off the Time Capsule if it is still on

Connect an Ethernet cable from an open Ethernet port on your main router to the WAN "O" Ethernet port on the Time Capsule

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a minute

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow blinking amber light status. This will not affect any of the data stored on the Time Capsule hard drive

On your Mac......

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on Time Capsule, or it might say AirPort Time Capsule

When you click on Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility set up "wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network settings and then display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see a Time Capsule pictured

Network Name.......Type in a name. Later, you will turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule

Base Station Name......Type in a device name. You can use the same name that you used before if you wish

Password......Type in a password

Verify......Type in the same password again to confirm

Click Next

The setup wizard will configure everything for you

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done

Should be a green light on the Time Capsule at this time

Post back on your progress and we will continue

Feb 27, 2021 3:55 PM in response to BrianOK13

Nice work. If you don't want to use the Time Capsule WiFi for "guests" or some other use, you can turn off the WiFi as follows:

Make sure that you are still logged onto the main router's wireless network

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next window

Change the setting for Network Mode to Off using the drop down menu box

Click Update at the lower right and give the Time Capsule a minute to restart

That's it. You are all set.

Feb 26, 2021 10:16 AM in response to BrianOK13

Sure, assuming that you are planning to connect it to your current WiFi router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection, and back up over the current router's WiFi network.

Now that you know that you can do this, your next question might be "how" to do this. Post back if you need more information. We will assume that you will be using a Mac to set up the Time Capsule.

Feb 26, 2021 11:18 AM in response to BrianOK13

Post back when you have the new mesh system set up and operating and we'll walk you through the setup of the Time Capsule at that time.

FYI......the Time Capsule will need to be reset back to factory default settings and then set up again, so that it will pick up the new settings that it needs from your "new" network. The reset will not affect any of the backups that you have stored on the Time Capsule.

Feb 27, 2021 2:36 PM in response to BrianOK13

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen and make sure that you are logged onto your main router's WiFi network.......not the Time Capsule network.

Try to run a backup. Things may or may not work at this point with the "old" Time Machine settings on your Mac(s). If you see an error message, post back with the exact text of the message.

If the backup runs OK, try to back up any other Macs that you are using.

Report on your results

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.