Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCP 4K APPLE TV ERROR CODE

I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT THE HDCP ERROR CODE ON APPLE 4K TV, ESPECIALLY TRYING TO WATCH HULU SEASON 4 "FARGO". THERE WERE SOME RESOLUTIONS THERE THAT OTHER GUEST HAVE TRIED. I ALSO TRIED THEIR SUGGESTIONS, ONLY TO KEEP RECEIVING THE SAME HDCP ERROR CODE.

OUT OF FRUSTRATION, I WENT TO MY OLD "APPLE DEVICE" GRAVEYARD, TO FIND MY FIRST GENERATION APPLE TV. I HOOKED UP THIS GREAT APPLE TV DEVICE TO MY CURVED 55" SAMSUNG 3D 4K TV THE SAME WAY THE APPLE TV 4K WAS. LOW & BEHOLD, I CAN NOW WATCH HULU SEASON 4 FARGO WITHOUT ANY HDCP ERROR CODES.

SOMETIMES THE OLD IS JUST AS GOOD AS THE NEW!!

JDN

70 YO

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 10:32 AM

7 replies

Feb 26, 2021 10:49 AM in response to FECFRN

If the issue was isolated to Hulu then it could be an issue with the Apple TV app. It would then be advised for anyone experiencing it to give the provider feedback so the they could investigate.

The older models didn't run apps, just preset channels sent via server. It would be at least a 2nd gen, as the only 3rd party service available on the 1st gen was Youtube (which was removed years ago). Be aware that the 2nd gen is still quite old so it could start experiencing issues, not to mention that providers have been steadily dropping support for their channels on that device so I wouldn't rely on this as a permanent solution.

Feb 26, 2021 2:23 PM in response to vazandrew

The built in Hulu app on the Samsung TV that I mentioned, worked perfectly fine. We were able to watch FARGO season 4. My confusion lies with the Apple TV 4k 2020. Researching the HDCP further, both devices need to be compliant for the video/audio to pass. With my Apple TV 4K, playing through the installed HULU app, via HDMI to my Samsung Curved TV(I know for sure this is HDCP compliant), the FARGO content did not play. I would receive the HDCP Error Code. So then I removed the Apple TV 4K from the link, plugged in the Apple TV (1st or 2nd generation) playing through the HULU app, then the FARGO season 4 content played fine.

As I said above, both devices need to be compliant. So theoretically, my Apple TV 4K 2020 is not HDCP compliant? I checked my packaging, where it says only HDMI output. Doesn't say HDCP compliant. Nothing at all!

Now I have the reliable Apple TV (1st or 2nd generation) sitting next to the Apple TV 4K for back-up.

JDN

70YO

Feb 26, 2021 2:51 PM in response to FECFRN

The Samsung TV is using a completely different platform, and an app that is developed for it. The issue is with the app on Apple TV specifically and the fact that it is issuing the error. If the device were at fault then you would be unable to stream from most sources as they would also require HDCP. As far as compliance the current Apple TV requires a higher set of parameters compared to the older models as it is intended to stream protected content up to 4k/HDR + Atmos. (i.e. HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2)

Hulu only list support for the older 3rd gen, so either you are in fact using that model or you've been lucky. Regardless, those older models would not be running a native app at all, so not only would features be limited but the risk increases for support to drop (which seems to be increasing by the day). Ultimately, that is not a permanent solution and it is best to let them know of the issue to ensure they are looking into it.

Feb 27, 2021 6:47 AM in response to vazandrew

I stand corrected! Model A1469 3rd generation 2012-2013, is what I am using to stream Hulu "FARGO" 4th season. As of today, this thread is a mute point, since we will finish season 4 today. Then I will be able to connect the Model A1482 back into my system, only having to use Model A1469 again, when I receive the HDCP Error Code.

Just a foot note, we have had no problems with streaming any content from the main page of Apple TV 4K, where all of the apps appear, with the A1482 until the issue with FARGO. Netflix, Prime, Acorn, etc. stream as they should.

JDN

70YO

Feb 27, 2021 7:02 AM in response to FECFRN

FECFRN wrote:

Just a foot note, we have had no problems with streaming any content from the main page of Apple TV 4K, where all of the apps appear, with the A1482 until the issue with FARGO. Netflix, Prime, Acorn, etc. stream as they should.

JDN

That is exactly what I was trying to point out. The issue is isolated to the Hulu app on Apple TV 4K, which is issuing an improper error. You would need to reach out to them to ensure they are investigating to fix it.

Even if you do have a 3rd Gen the above still stands, it is not running the native app and providers are steadily dropping support for those (the latest announcements are from YouTube and CBS and those will cease next month). So I would not rely on that as a solution.

HDCP 4K APPLE TV ERROR CODE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.