Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall Original OS?

I 'upgraded to 'Big Sur' and my 2014 MacBook Pro Now runs very hot and the battery discharges quickly. I need to reinstall macOS 10.10. Called Mac Support two times and they could not be of any help. Any help out there?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 7, 2021 6:20 PM in response to dialabrain

I made the mistake of buying a new MacBook Pro M1. It came with Big Sur. I saw that my 2014 MBP was 'compatible' with the old MBP and I 'up-graded' it to Big Sur for continuity. My old MBP gets very hot and the battery discharges much faster with Big Sur; I measured 111 degrees at the center of the keyboard and it was getting hotter. It was much hotter, by far, then it had ever run.

I contacted Apple Support about reverting back to MacOS 10.15, which ran very well on that device. Big Sur is not easy to circumvent. I was told I had to go back to the original MacOS, which was MacOS 10.10, and it is not easily available. I could not find it. While talking with Apple Support, they emailed MacOS 10.10 to me and I began the long process of upgrading to 10.10. All along the conversation, one moment the OS would be termed numerically and the next moment they'd be calling it a geographical name. Apple don't do that, I know you guys are required to know all those details but I'm just a user, OK, a Customer.

The upgrade to MacOS 10.10 was chugging along and I could not stay up all night so I went to bed, letting the computer run. During the night I guess the computer crashed, or froze, or maybe got lonely and stopped. The next morning, I had to try waking it up and it would not go. I called Apple Support and arranged to take the MBP into the Apple Store to have geniuses look at it. He said he'd note to have them install, incrementally, MAcOS 10.10; 10.11; 10.12; 10.13; 1014 and 10.15, so to have a fully functional computer.

I took the MBP into the Apple Store and they said that they'd install it up to MacOS 10.15 for me but I'd have to leave it over night. I left it with them and I got a notification that it was ready to be picked up the next morning. I picked it up and took it home. once home I turn it on and found it had been updated to only MacOS 10.14. I should have left it there, but there was something incompatible with several of my hard drives. I attempted to up upgrade one more step unto my desired MacOS 10.15 and hit a snag. I dialog implied a problem with a partition. I have never had a partition on that MBP and didn't really understand why there would be one on there, but I clicked OK and things went crazy from there. Yes, I somehow ended up with three partitions, all with 512GB of data, on a 512 GB drive!!!!

Although the computer seemed to function, I had a hard time finding applications and documents at times. After several days, I was working on backing up data to a Hard Drive and there was the sound you hear when you send an email. I checked the eMail Program and all my eMails from 2017 through 2020 had disappeared. I had most of them filed by month and year and even the folders they were stored in were gone. This prompted another call to Apple Support. They suggested I delete a partition and I did. I chose the partition that seemed to have very little data on it and the computer crashed. It now crashes half-way through startup.

I have most of this data backed up but I cannot backup a Mac that doesn't boot.

I have to arrange to once again to have the good folks at the Apple Genius Bar reinstall MacOS 10.15. I hate to bother these people.

Ironbarny

Reinstall Original OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.