Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import Contacts archive does not import any contacts just a group

Hello,

Some help here would be appreciated.

I am trying to move my contacts from old computer (iMac High Sierra) to new (MacBook Pro M1 Big Sur).

On the origin computer (iMac) I launched Contacts and did Export > Archive. This created an .ABBU archive on the Desktop. Moved this archive to the target computer (MacBook Pro). On the target computer I did Import and selected the .ABBU archive.

A group named 'Contacts (all)' has been created in the Contacts app. Individual contacts whatsover are nowhere to be found. The Group cannot be expanded or searched. Where are my contacts ?

Any idea what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 3:11 AM

Actually, Import does import the individual contacts not just the Group's name.

What mislead me is that the import takes a long time and there is no indication that it is in progress.

When I checked my contacts 24 hours later afetr having launched the Import, I could see all the individual contacts.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 3:11 AM in response to nunof

Actually, Import does import the individual contacts not just the Group's name.

What mislead me is that the import takes a long time and there is no indication that it is in progress.

When I checked my contacts 24 hours later afetr having launched the Import, I could see all the individual contacts.

Feb 28, 2021 12:27 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the suggestion. You guessed right, I do not desire to use iCloud.

There is a bug in the Import function of Contacts under Big Sur (it is annoying that they have released this OS with so many bugs outstanding). The Export / Import function works well on all other previous OS versions.

Import Contacts archive does not import any contacts just a group

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.