Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing contact archive

I simply cannot successfully export and import contacts.

From: my wife's contacts on her Mac Mini using export command to an archive; export the entire contacts via either selecting ALL or just using the export command an selecting archive contacts

TO: new MacBook Air using IMPORT or double clicking

Is there a special trick??

If multiple accounts(Yahoo, Google, etc) is there something special required to select only one or the "RIGHT" one?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 10:15 AM

Yes, I did BOTH of those things and the archive and the vcf file for individual contacts both failed to be brought into the new Mac.

I finally got disgusted with beating my head against a wall here and went to Apple support and had them call me. It took about an hour on the phone with the tech guy viewing my Mac and my iPhone in real time while guiding me in the fix. Long story short he could not tell 1) why the original migration of the old Mac failed and 2) why the export process failed, BUT, he helped me fix the problem. We went to the different accounts(gmail, ProtonMail) and exported the contacts from the accounts on line rather than working with backed up files from the old Mac. I was really concerned this problem was not reconcilable but, lucky for me, it was. I have to say I am really happy with Apple Tech help and may more likely go direct the next time rather than using the community-- as much as I appreciate YOUR and others help too! thanks!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2021 10:15 AM in response to TrafGib

Yes, I did BOTH of those things and the archive and the vcf file for individual contacts both failed to be brought into the new Mac.

I finally got disgusted with beating my head against a wall here and went to Apple support and had them call me. It took about an hour on the phone with the tech guy viewing my Mac and my iPhone in real time while guiding me in the fix. Long story short he could not tell 1) why the original migration of the old Mac failed and 2) why the export process failed, BUT, he helped me fix the problem. We went to the different accounts(gmail, ProtonMail) and exported the contacts from the accounts on line rather than working with backed up files from the old Mac. I was really concerned this problem was not reconcilable but, lucky for me, it was. I have to say I am really happy with Apple Tech help and may more likely go direct the next time rather than using the community-- as much as I appreciate YOUR and others help too! thanks!

importing contact archive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.