Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro (mid 2014) is unable to install Big Sur despite having adequate storage and memory

My MacBook Pro (mid 2014) is unable to install Big Sur despite having adequate storage and memory, according to the stated requirements.

If I bring to an Apple store, will they be able to upgrade it somehow? I am no computer wizard and almost all the advice I have found online is above my paygrade.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 1:22 PM

If you have the older Big Sur installer, then Apple had disabled it from running on a 2014 laptop. Delete the installer app and empty the Trash, then download the latest version of the Big Sur installer and try again.

If you still have problems, then please let us know at what point the installer fails and the exact error message. You may want to run the Big Sur installer from Safe Mode.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2021 1:22 PM in response to Lillian R P

If you have the older Big Sur installer, then Apple had disabled it from running on a 2014 laptop. Delete the installer app and empty the Trash, then download the latest version of the Big Sur installer and try again.

If you still have problems, then please let us know at what point the installer fails and the exact error message. You may want to run the Big Sur installer from Safe Mode.

My MacBook Pro (mid 2014) is unable to install Big Sur despite having adequate storage and memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.