Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, problems with appstore

I recently had several problems with the App Store on MacOS.

• When trying to update some apps, the turning 3/4 circle sign in the initial phase of the update keeps turning without changing to the usual square in the circle. (This seems similar to App Store not working, Mojave 10.14.6 - Apple Community).
  • The list of installed apps is most incomplete, for example Xcode is indicated with the cloudy sign for download although it is installed (and was installed from the App Store). I tried to clean completely the cache of the App Store. When I started the App Store again the list of installed applications was correct for about one minute before getting corrupted again with most applications appearing as not installed. I also had this problem of installed applications not recognised as such on another computer when upgrading to Big Sur. I had to "install" them instead of "updating" them.

Note that I always keep automatic update disabled.

I am interested to know how widespread such problems are.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2021 11:49 PM

Thank you very much for your kind answer and for the two links.

The problem for the applications not showing downloaded was always with the same applications. About the download, the surprising thing is that no error message was given, the 3/4 circle was simply keeping turning around, but I had no trouble connecting to the AppStore itself. In fact, I would not have dared post a question if the obvious diagnostic had worked.

In any case, after waiting for two days the AppStore application is working again as expected. Since it was a transient problem, and I did not make any change to my configuration in-between, my first guess would be that the problem might have been with the connection to Apple servers (although my connection to internet was working fine). I would still be interested to know if I am the only one to have such problems.

By the way, the method I used to clear the cache before I posted my question was suggested by https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-mac-app-store-problems/.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2021 11:49 PM in response to Leanne_68

Thank you very much for your kind answer and for the two links.

The problem for the applications not showing downloaded was always with the same applications. About the download, the surprising thing is that no error message was given, the 3/4 circle was simply keeping turning around, but I had no trouble connecting to the AppStore itself. In fact, I would not have dared post a question if the obvious diagnostic had worked.

In any case, after waiting for two days the AppStore application is working again as expected. Since it was a transient problem, and I did not make any change to my configuration in-between, my first guess would be that the problem might have been with the connection to Apple servers (although my connection to internet was working fine). I would still be interested to know if I am the only one to have such problems.

By the way, the method I used to clear the cache before I posted my question was suggested by https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-mac-app-store-problems/.

Mar 2, 2021 8:10 AM in response to vetuslusor

Hi there vetuslusor,

We understand you're experiencing issues with apps not updating as expected and apps not showing downloaded as expected, and we'd like to see if we can assist.

For help with updating apps, get started here: If you can't download or update apps on your Mac

In regard to the apps not showing as downloaded, do you notice this always occurs with specific apps, or different apps each time?

Are you able to launch these apps as expected?

Also, restart your Mac in safe mode, and check the list of apps there: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Cheers!

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, problems with appstore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.