Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages will not let me use a delete keyboard shortcut.

I set up a short cut in system preferences, but the menu command is not highlighted in imessages App. Therefore, I cannot use it. I'm using Big Sur on an M1 Mini. Never had trouble with this command in previous operating systems, and other keyboard shortcuts are working. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 6:00 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 2, 2021 11:26 AM in response to Senior.Moment

Hi there Senior.Moment,

From what we can tell, a keyboard shortcut that you set up in System Preferences isn't working as expected in Messages on your Mac. We're glad you've connected with us in Apple Support Communities, and we can provide some clarity.

To delete a single message using a keyboard shortcut in Messages on your Mac, you'll need to first select the item you want to delete with the steps below:

• "Select an item: Move the pointer over the item, then click it.
  • Select multiple items: Press and hold the Command key, then click the items.
  • Select multiple items that are next to each other: Click the first item you want to select, press and hold the Shift key, then click the last item.
  • You can also click near the first item, press and hold the mouse or trackpad, then drag over all of the items."

Then, press the Delete key on your keyboard. Any additional custom keyboard shortcuts aren't necessary for deleting messages in the Messages app on your Mac. Have a look at the links below to learn more:

Keyboard shortcuts in Messages on Mac

Mac keyboard shortcuts

Cheers.

Mar 4, 2021 1:02 PM in response to Senior.Moment

Senior.Moment,

It's our pleasure. Thanks for the additional details. Let's take a closer look at exactly how to delete conversations and individual messages in Messages on your Mac, just to be sure we're on the same page.

To continue, any time you attempt to delete a message, whether it's an individual message within a conversation, or the entire conversation, you'll be prompted to confirm the deletion in Messages. Rather than moving your mouse to confirm the deletion, you should be able to simply press the Enter key on your keyboard.

Next, if you're selecting an entire conversation in Messages, then clicking the Edit dropdown menu, it's normal to see the Delete option grayed out so that you can't select it.

"Do any of the following to delete a conversation:

• Delete an empty conversation: Move the pointer over an empty conversation, then click the Close button .
  • Delete a conversation: Select a conversation, then choose File > Delete Conversation. Or, if you have a trackpad or a Magic Mouse, you can also swipe left with two fingers on the conversation in the sidebar, then click the Delete button."

Also, if you're selecting an individual message within a conversation, you should be able to select the Delete option in the Edit dropdown menu in Messages.

"Do any of the following to delete one or more messages:

• Delete messages: Select one or more messages (including text messages, photos, videos, files, web links, audio messages, or emoji) in the transcript, then press Delete.
  • Delete all messages within a conversation: Choose Edit > Clear Transcript."

This support article provides more information about deleting individual messages and conversations, and the difference between the two, in the Messages app on your Mac:

Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac

We hope this helps!

Take care.

Mar 6, 2021 5:50 AM in response to Senior.Moment

What is it you are trying to Delete?

A conversation can only be deleted using the Delete Conversation… command in the File menu.

The Delete command in the Edit menu is for deleting selected messages or text within a conversation.

And, as indicated by the ellipsis on the command, there is a required confirmation dialog associated with the command.

In Big Sur, there is not a way to "shortcut" the confirmation dialog as has been possible in the past.

You can turn on Keyboard navigation in Keyboard System Preferences, Shortcuts tab. That allows you to tab between buttons on a dialog. You can activate the Outlined button with the spacebar.

Mar 2, 2021 4:31 PM in response to Chris_C1

Hi Chris,

Thank you for responding! I have normally deleted items in Apps in exact way that you outlined, but for some reason it is not working in iMessage. In fact, I had to think about how I do it. It kind of shocked me that it doesn't work.

The same method currently works in Apple mail, which is why I attempted to set up a keyboard shortcut in iMessages. Since it isn't working, I wondered if Apple changed something, but couldn't find any information in that case.

Currently, in Messages, when I click on "edit" in the top bar, "delete" is not highlighted. (It's been so long since I used it it that I don't know if it should be highlighted.) I can go to "file", and choose "Delete Conversation," and I can "control/click" to delete. At that point, in both instances, when I hit enter, I get an error sound, and I must move the mouse over to the popup box, and click "yes" to physically confirm the deletion of the message. That is all much more complicated than I would like. I should be automatic.

Any advice? Am I doing something wrong? That's certainly possible. I could be having a senior moment.

Thanks so much! Have a great day!

Mar 4, 2021 8:02 AM in response to barberlives123

Hi Baberlives123,

I appreciate your help, and suggestion. I may not have explained myself proficiently. The delete shortcut works in Mail as usual, but it does not work in iMessage. As you mentioned, I have been highlighting the conversation I want to delete prior to attempting the shortcut; however, the shortcut does not work. Very strange. I still have to highlight, control click, and then move the mouse to confirm deletion. As I mention initially, the "Delete" option is not highlighted under "Edit" in the bar. Should it be? It's been years since I have used anything except the shortcut.

Thanks so much! Have a good day!

Mar 5, 2021 10:59 PM in response to raina_b22

Hello Apple Smart people, (I wonder if Apple will ever develop "Smart People" as a product? I could certainly use one.)

You guys have been very nice. Thank you! And, thank you for the links and instructions! I learned a couple things from the articles, which is always nice.

This is sort of getting funny because I keep wondering if I should perhaps change my forum name from "Senior.Moment" to something indicative of a more permanent state of mental decline. But, I'm happy to confidentally say, "Yes. I am 100% with you." I am performing the precise actions as you've instructed, and they are not working. I recently bought a new M1 Mini, so this is my first experience with Big Sur. I thought perhaps Apple changed the old method, but it doesn't seem so.

I had forgotten about the option to delete a message by clicking the "X" . Good idea. Glad you brought that up. Unfortunately, that option is not available. There is no "X" upon which to click. I looked in settings, and I don't even see a way to disable that, even if I wanted to, which I don't. So, I'm not sure why it isn't there.

Additionally, I do have a trackpad (first edition). I can swipe left to bring up the delete option, but exactly as in the case of highlighting the message, I cannot simply push enter to delete the message. I must physically move the mouse to the popup window, and click delete. 'Twas the reason for my original question. (because it ain't workin'.)

By following the steps presented, it does not appear as if I'm doing it incorrectly. (A statement you must hear often from those of us actually doing it incorrectly.) It seems these methods are not working as they should? Or, an option which should be available is not? Perplexing.

I'm absolutely open to further suggestion. When it comes to problems my personal policy is to defer to "Your kindly neighborhood professional." (That would be you guys.) Totally lost here.

Thank you very much! Hope you have a great day!

iMessages will not let me use a delete keyboard shortcut.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.