Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updating from 10.12.6 (2015) to newest update

greetings,

I have macbook 2015 with 10.12.6, (macOS Sierra)

I ignored the updates over the years cause i never had the time to sit and download it because i thought it will take a long time to do so...

now i want to download an app and its really important; however, i cannot because of the old update that i have

I tried updating from AppStore but it keeps saying "downloading" and evenually it disappears and doesn't downalod. (another thing is: i cannot find any uodates when i click the Apple logo, also when i open system preferences i cant seem to find "software updates" either)

I tried downloading 10.13 from the apple page and when i open it to install it it says: "it needs 10.3." ?

I also went further and downloaded other updates like the ones that said: " 10.13 Supplemental" "Combo 10.15.7" and as you might have guess it didn't work too

I don't know how to solve the problem I've been trying to figure it out for the past 3 weeks; I'd really appreciate it if you help me

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 27, 2021 9:53 PM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2021 11:51 PM in response to cherrycherryCher

Let's start with System Preferences>Software Update, that feature did not exist until macOS Mojave 10.14 was launched.

The App Store Updates page only informs you of updates available for the OS you are currently running.

Any other updates that you may have downloaded like 10.13 Supplemental and Combo 10.15.7 will only install

if you are running an earlier version of the OS they are designed for. For example the 10.13 Supplemental would only instal on a mac running macOS High Sierra 10.13, and the Combo 10.15.7 will only install on a mac running macOS Catalina 10.15.

Moving from one OS to a newer OS is called an upgrade and can only be done by downloading the full installer application

which can be downloaded via links to the App Store.

Your mac is a 2015 model which means it can upgrade to the latest macOS Big Sur 11.2.1.

Open your Safari browser and click on this link,

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

Please read everything in Section 1particularly about the amount of storage space required

before installation, and take into account the installer app is 12.24GBs in size itself.

The installer app gets downloaded to your Applications folder as Install macOS Big Sur.app.

Although it is possible to upgrade direct from macOS Sierra to macOS Big Sur I would recommend that you upgrade

to macOS High Sierra first. The newer OS's from High Sierra to Big Sur run on the APFS file system and upgrading

to macOS High Sierra will prepare your mac for this.

To upgrade to macOS High Sierra open your Safari browser and click on the link below.

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to the Download OS section and click on macOS High Sierra.

This will redirect you to the App Store High Sierra download page

it should say Get or Download.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur be warned they do not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

Feb 28, 2021 6:52 AM in response to Eau Rouge

hello Eau!

thank you so much for answering me in no time i appreciate it!

I've tried to click on the link you sent to download high sierra and then move on to upgrade to other updates; however, i keeps directing me to app store and whenever i give it access to open the store nothing shows up on the app (the page that directed me to app store would say something like: "Connecting to mac apple store... To use the Mac App Store, you need Mac OS 10.6.6 or greater. For more information, please click here."

updating from 10.12.6 (2015) to newest update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.