Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why only 22 MP3 tunes on an audio CD?

I have iTunes ver 12110.26.53016.0. About a year ago I successfully burnt 120 MP3 songs (5h 51m) onto a 700 MB audio CD, selecting "Audio CD" as the disc format during the burning process. I tried to repeat this just now with 123 MP3 songs, but a popup indicated there are too many songs on the playlist and multiple CDs will be required. I started deleting songs from the playlist and am down to 97 (4h 54m) but get the same message. I did a test burn and only got 22 of the 97 songs onto the CD. What is going on?

Remote Desktop

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 12:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2021 3:38 AM

CD-R is a once-write recordable medium. iTunes can burn to CD-R in three formats, Audio CD, MP3 CD, and Data CD. Many modern CD players are able to play MP3 CD (MP3s only) or Data CD (a mix of audio formats) but if your car does not then you are limited to Audio CD. If the previous MP3/Data CD that you made worked in the car then I would use that format again. Use Data CD unless you're certain that all tracks are in MP3 format and/or that your player copes with MP3 CD but not Data CD.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2021 3:38 AM in response to Promerops

CD-R is a once-write recordable medium. iTunes can burn to CD-R in three formats, Audio CD, MP3 CD, and Data CD. Many modern CD players are able to play MP3 CD (MP3s only) or Data CD (a mix of audio formats) but if your car does not then you are limited to Audio CD. If the previous MP3/Data CD that you made worked in the car then I would use that format again. Use Data CD unless you're certain that all tracks are in MP3 format and/or that your player copes with MP3 CD but not Data CD.

tt2

Feb 28, 2021 2:03 AM in response to Promerops

Promerops wrote:

I have iTunes ver 12110.26.53016.0. About a year ago I successfully burnt 120 MP3 songs (5h 51m) onto a 700 MB audio CD, selecting "Audio CD" as the disc format during the burning process.

Your recollection is faulty. You will have burnt to a data disc or MP3 CD. An Audio CD holds at most 80 minutes of uncompressed audio. When burning data you get to use up to 700MiB filling it with compressed files that may represent much more than 80 minutes of audio when decompressed.

tt2

Why only 22 MP3 tunes on an audio CD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.